Motor controlled by programmable interface: LCD + buttons

Hello, I want to build and develop a system to run a motor controlled by a LCD and some buttons. I want the users to be able to program the motor using the LCD, so they can set the motor to run at some intervals, at determined speeds, etc. I mean, to allow users to schedule - program actions and or presets for, through the LCD and the buttons, for the actions the motor will do.

I want the motor take the energy from a battery. I want that battery to be rechargeable To a couple of Kg, but well i can start with 500gr. for test

What do i need ? What pieces i need to buy ?

What do you have?

Material related: almost nothing
Programming skills; several years

so perhaps you need a lcd, a motor , some buttons and of course an arduino-board?!? whats the problem?

and whats the 500gr in your post? its the weight of your battery or the weight, the motor should pull?

Mebbe you likey a fancy touch screen?

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11741

I've done tons of these interfaces for a contract work, which has LCD+keypad and motor+heater+sensors+SD card+wifi+more. I like to use this one for interface (I designed it and sell it):

http://www.inmojo.com/store/liudr-arduino-and-physics-gadgets/item/serial-lcd-back-pack---phi-panel/

It is a serial LCD+keypad backpack module. It frees up your arduino about 12 pins, tons of memory and cpu cycles to do what your project needs arduino to do.

My word of advice regardless what hardware you choose: DON'T MAKE YOUR OWN USER INTERFACE! USE EXISTING LIBRARIES! I've been on this forum for so long and have seen so many not-well-done menu systems simply because the developer didn't have experience doing user interface development and made huge mess on two fronts: the actual project code, and the user interface code. These two should be perfectly separate. You mix the two, you feel more than twice the headache. Besides, your project evolves so will your user interface. Good interface libraries stay separated from actual project.

The use case is for photo and video, to make timelapses. I mean users connect a camera over a plate over a motor, and program the system to run the motor lets say eg 1 time every 10 seconds an angle of 2ยบ, and to run a second motor to e.g. to travel 1 cm

As for the motor, what is recommended ? stepper, servo or dc

What power torque is recommended to move or turn (run) the motor with a: 500gr baseplate plus a camera and accesories of 500gr - 5Kg weight ?

As for battery, which one ? i need the battery to be user rechargeable, that can power the motor system and that looks great (not like the RC ones)

The motor that turns the camera: The torque requirement of the motor comes not only from the weight of your camera+base plate, but also how they are held by the motor. The closer the rotation axis is to the center of the mass of the camera+plate, the less torque need. If everything is well balanced (say with proper placement of mounting holes and holder design or with counter weight), it takes very little effort to turn the thing. It's simple physics. Do you currently have the plate and mounting to show how and where you will add the motor?

The motor that moves the camera along a track: This depends on the mechanical advantage you use to hook up your motor to the piece that does the turning. Are you directly coupling the motor to a long rod with thread or running a belt or else? Once you have this in place, you can easily find the minimal torque to turn and move the camera. Once again you need the system in place except for the motor to determine the motor you need.

For type of motor, each has its advantage and disadvantage. DC motors without any type of feedback is not recommended. Servo motors are good for the rotation and then stepper for the translation.

Hi Liudr, This is for a system to move cameras.. something like this

http://vimeo.com/m/46075511

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/syrp/genie-motion-control-time-lapse-device/description

Ok, that is fancy! Not sure where to start :(

Based on the links you provided, it looks more like a Raspberry Pi project then an Arduino project. The Raspberry Pi can record video for a set duration or be triggered manually (either software or hardware) to start and stop recording. The downside is, the coding language is Linux/Python, which I am not very good at otherwise I would give you some code to start with. But the Raspberry Pi can also interface with the Arduino if you still want to that. Sensors and motor could be controlled by the Arduino and a signal could be sent to the RPI to start recording if a sensor detects motion. Or you can have the RPI do everything itself, LCD interface, sensors and the motors, it up to you.

I found a rather useful link to get you started. RPI Surveillance