motor controller

I think I will be getting this walmart item for my robot
it's motors use 6 volts but I do not know how many amps
can anyone recommend a motor controller that will not fry with these?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/4x4-Power-ATV-6-Volt-Battery-Powered-Ride-On/15111319?findingMethod=rr

A heavy duty R/C ESC, with a meaty heatsink?

AWOL:
A heavy duty R/C ESC, with a meaty heatsink?

A Radio Control type won't be easy to find. It'd need to be a brushed controller which is getting to be a rarity and the few I've found require 2-3 LiPo cells which is 7.4 to 11.1V input range.

As far as determining how many amps you'll need all you can do right now is guess. When you take the plunge and get it in your house you can tear it up a bit and stick a multimeter on it but that's not helpful now of course. One thing you can do is look at the battery it has in it; a sealed lead acid battery usually has specified limits for current draw so knowing the voltage and amp hour (Ah) rating of the battery can start you off on a search for a similar size battery that has that current spec defined.

I've got one of these in the project pile. Thinking you would want foward/reverse control, you could go with an h-bridge, relays, or use a a double throw double pole switch setup like below (operated by a servo). With the steering wheel removed, you probably can operate the steering linkage with a big servo.

thank you for the replies. If there is another options for a robot platform please comment, It needs to hold 15 pounds preferably have 2 wheels

Below is a two wheel routerbot setup you might upscale. Note that you probably would need to use roller skate bearings or similar on wheel shafts to take a heavy load.

would this platform be able to hold 15 pounds at max?
http://www.diybin.com/products/DFRobot-4WD-Mobile-Platform-Arduino-CONTROLLER.html
for those who don't want to click link here is specifications

Specification

4WD Mobile platform Motors: 3-12V DC
Speed: 90cm/s
Dimensions: 200mm x 170mm x 105mm

Motor Specification

? Gear Ratio 1:120
? No-load speed(3V):100RPM
? No-load speed(6V):200RPM
? No-load current(3V):60mA
? No-load current(6V):71mA
? Stall current(3V):260mA
? Stall current(6V):470mA
? Torgue (3V): 1.2Kgcm
? Torque (6V): 1.92Kgcm
? Size: 55mm x 48.3mm x 23mm
? Weight:45g

My gut feeling says anything taking so little current isn't going to shift a 7kg load

would this platform be able to hold 15 pounds at max?

When you asked the maker, what did they say? The below might be more appropriate for a 15 lb. load.

is there anything a bit cheaper < 100 dollars ?

New? Probably not. You can search places like goodwill, thrift stores, flea markets, and yard sales to find bigger children’s riding toys. You said you prefered a two wheel device. You will probably have to DIY that somewhat like a small segway.

arduinopi:

Under $100.00? Let’s see what I can come up with…

1. First start with a 3/8 inch plywood base; cut round or square - probably looking at $5.00 or so.
  2. A couple of these: http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G13889 ($4.00 total)
  3. Or a couple of these: http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G15594 ($8.00 total)
  4. A couple of these: http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G17806 ($34.00 total)
  5. Assorted hardware and other stuff (you’ll need a couple of caster wheels, for instance) to bring it all together - $20.00?

Ok - that was just thrown together, but you can build a very nice robot platform for well under $100.00 (and quite possibly under $50.00) - provided you are willing to do some work and have some tools (and the knowledge to use them safely). Don’t have any tools (or understanding on how to use them)? Then you shouldn’t be building robots in the first place (or, if you insist - stick to kits or the like).

Even with such a platform, you’re still going to need good motor drivers; robots aren’t cheap to build once you get past “desktop/carpet” rovers. I’m gradually working on a 'bot built on a Powerwheels Hummer H2 platform - it won’t be a cheap robot when finished, I have no illusions there (currently, though, the project is on “hiatus” while I complete my Machine Learning class).

will the 6" x 1 5/8" Robot Wheel fit onto the Powerful 12VDC to 24VDC Gearhead Motor??

also which motor is stronger?

or

I have a couple of those goldmine motors, they're big ol' things.
I know "good things come in little packages", but I think the goldmine units probably win the comparison.

Will the wheel fit? If it doesn't then you need to make it fit by finding or making a transition to make it happen.

While at the recycling center today a guy brought in three well worn kids electric riding toys. Two were big two kid size and one was a single kid jeep. The batterys were out for recycling, looked like big 12v ones.

zoomkat:
While at the recycling center today a guy brought in three well worn kids electric riding toys. Two were big two kid size and one was a single kid jeep. The batterys were out for recycling, looked like big 12v ones.

If they were the larger Powerwheels type ride-ons, they were probably 12 volt; they do use fairly large batteries - they are generally fused at 20 or 25 amps (hungry motors!). If I had seen that, I would've been real tempted to ask about and potentially take them home (my wife would probably kill me, though - I have my H2 in my shop for my robot project, and for that same project I have a Powerwheels Quad that was donated for it, sitting in the garage - next to my RL500 mower chassis - I have waaaay too much crap).

But - if you parted those things out, the motors and hubs (and maybe wheels) are great for robot projects (if you can find or build a controller to handle them, of course)...

:slight_smile:

Has anyone actually taken one of those kids toy motors apart?
If so Is there 2 motors or 1 ?