Motor Driver for Nema17 with Encoder

Hello,

I am working on a project that involves tracking the angular displacement of a driven gear. The driver gear is powered by a Nema17 stepper motor with a rotary encoder attached to it. I am quite new to the Arduino world and have followed the basics that @Robin2, so clearly, wrote down here Stepper Motor - Basics. This was indeed a life-saver!

The Question:

I have a general idea of motor driver selection as suggested by @Robin2. However, how do I know if a particular motor driver is :

• Compatible with arduino?
  • Can be used with a rotary encoder?

For instance, this driver I found on Aliexpress AliExpress Driver is a closed-loop driver, but I am not sure if it can be controlled through an Arduino. Similarily, the A4988 Stepper Motor Driver is widely recommended. But, does it allow for an encoder feedback loop? Forgive me if I am wrong, but most of the projects that use the A4988, which I have seen online, seem to be without an encoder.

Once again, please forgive me if I sound very stupid. But, it would be lovely if someone could clear this up for me!

I don't know what the Leadshine driver does but I can't see any reason why it can't be controlled with an Arduino.

Also there is no reason why an A4988 cannot be used with a stepper motor that drives a shaft with an encoder.

However it is not at all clear why the encoder is necessary if the stepper motor is sufficiently powerful that it does not miss steps.

...R