Motor Driver safety MOSFET traces

Looking at this schematic the vhn2sp30, Am I correct that the traces connecting the 16V Diode, and the 100K resistor don’t need to be very large? (12mil is what I typically do signal traces). The traces going from the MOSFET (Q1) to ground and from the MOSFET to the Motor Driver Chip’s ground DO need to be able to handle the motor current though.
…I think this is correct, but thought I’d check…

It dosn't look right to me.
For a start the FET seems to be wired backwards.
More fundamentally what is that FET doing? It seems it is always on and is not controlled.

SouthernAtHeart:
Looking at this schematic the vhn2sp30, Am I correct that the traces connecting the 16V Diode, and the 100K resistor don't need to be very large? (12mil is what I typically do signal traces). The traces going from the MOSFET (Q1) to ground and from the MOSFET to the Motor Driver Chip's ground DO need to be able to handle the motor current though.
...I think this is correct, but thought I'd check...

You are correct.

Mike, that mosfet circuit is Pololu's standard protection against connecting the motor power supply the wrong way round.

that mosfet circuit is Pololu's standard protection against connecting the motor power supply the wrong way round.

Thanks, I couldn't see that initially.

dc42:

SouthernAtHeart:
Looking at this schematic the vhn2sp30, Am I correct that the traces connecting the 16V Diode, and the 100K resistor don't need to be very large? (12mil is what I typically do signal traces). The traces going from the MOSFET (Q1) to ground and from the MOSFET to the Motor Driver Chip's ground DO need to be able to handle the motor current though.
...I think this is correct, but thought I'd check...

You are correct.

Mike, that mosfet circuit is Pololu's standard protection against connecting the motor power supply the wrong way round.

thanks!

And just to be complete: 'yes' to the OP - those traces for 100k and zener only carry small currents...