•Voltage: 12V DC
•RPM: 60RPM
• loading Current: 2000mA
•Diameter: 25mm
•Height (excl. shaft): View Photos
•Shaft length: 9.5mm
•Shaft diameter: 4mm
•Weight: 80g

I am confuse on what type of motor drive should I use. I have searched on google but only about L293 has 4 channels, and some sites told that in order to choose motor driver, we need to know the no-load current. However, the specs only told the loading current.

That seems like a fairly small motor. I think 2000mA might be the stall current.

The Adafruit motor shield looks pretty good to control 4 or more motors.

You would be looking for the load-current, not the no-load current, as that would be low. You want the load-current so you know what the maximum current that the motor will draw, so you can make sure that the motor driver is rated for more than that. And that the stall current is also within the peak current range.

The Adafruit motor shield that MorganS mentioned should be good also, (assuming 2A is stall current) as it can proovide 1.3A per bridge, with a 3A peak. If you're talking about a motor like this one, then either motor driver will do - as it looks like that particular motor is rated at 0.6A when loaded (printed on the picture), making the 2A the stall current. A L293-based shield like this one would also do fine, and is quite a bit cheaper.

Please post full details (link/datasheet) of the actual motor, not some of the details you copied. Its much easier
to figure out what's actually meant (many manufacturers are poor at motor data).

There are quite a few boards capable of driving 4 motors.If your motors operate on a voltage higher than 5v then you can get shields with a separate power input just for the motors.I would recommend the ComMotion coommunications and smart Motion control in one shield from dagu or the Dagu 5 rover tank driver boar as i have worked with both of them and the provide exceptional encoder support and they both connect with the xbee pro wifi link board :slight_smile:

Thank you so much guys! ^^. The way all of you explain is so great

I wonder what do you mean by current per bridge?What is the differences between current per bridge and peak current? How about if I use Motor Driver Shield L298P?

For the specification, I just copy the specification from the ebay seller that I bought from. They didnt give me any datasheet. Here is the link Motor.

I also have another question, if I use the above motors, since its shaft diameter is 25mm, I just need to bought wheel with the same 25mm wheel center hole diameter to directly connect the wheel and motor right?

ah, the photo's suggest a 0.6A rating, presumably full-load current, and then 2A will be stall current.

If you use a motor driver unable to survive the stall current it can fail - fairly straightforward if you
think about it. What's not so obvious is that stall current flows when you start a motor unless you
ramp-up the drive level using PWM. A 1.3A (3A peak) shield would probably be fine then.

You can check the stall current by measuring the terminal resistance on the motor with a multimeter -
if this is about 6 ohms then the stall current at 12V will be 2A as stated.

Don't test the stall current of a gear-motor by locking the output shaft and powering up - there's
a risk of damaging the output gears through over-torque.

Thank you MarkT!Really help me :smiley:

Though I still have several confusion, but I will try to make a search for that.

Think twice about any driver board using the 298: they eat your volts. You lose 2V at least, and iirc that drop goes up to almost 5V at higher currents. Very inefficient....

Have a look at devices using more modern technology, such as what Pololu has here.

I read that for the Adafruit Shield that runs 2A; it says

Current requirements:
The second thing to figure out is how much current your motor will need. The motor driver chips that come with the kit are designed to provide up to 1.2 A per motor, with 3A peak current. Note that once you head towards 2A you'll probably want to put a heat-sink on the motor driver, otherwise you will get thermal failure, possibly burning out the chip.

from here

How could I install heatsink on the board?

You'll need to have look somewhere like this to get a heatsink the right size for that version of the L298. Then you just stick it on the chip with thermal paste or thermal tape.

Do you mean, anywhere on the chip?

Akh_f:
Do you mean, anywhere on the chip?

As far as I know, you choose one the right size and it covers the chip.

Thank you everyone!

Hello

Is it possible to power up my motor using 11.1V Li-Po battery that is connected to adafruit motor shield V2?

Im in battery store right now and there is only lipo battery available.Somehiw they said that they are confused whether the LiPo battery will work on my motor or not..