motor/encoder/wheels.

has anybody found any good 3-6v motors? also need encoder discs, and decent wheels. ideally they need to be compatible without modification.

It would help if you said what you were doing with the motors. A good motor for deflecting a laser would not be a good motor for making a robot.

good point. For a robot patform, to map a room! So i was thinking of 3-6v gear head 150ma - 750ma about 120~180 rpm. I have some combo drill motors from rapid, which seam suited, problem is the ouput shaft isn't longenough for an encoder wheel and wheels!

Why don't you separate the motor and encoder. That is have the encoder shaft on a wheel that is not being driven. That way you automatically measure any slippage that occurs when the drive wheel looses traction, and you don't need a long shaft.

Good idea, but I had planned on using two motors in the middle of the platform, with skids on the front and back, allowing it to turn on the spot. placing wheels in any other place on the robot would hinder its turning, and when turning on the spot would not capture its true position. I shouldnt imagine that slipping/skidding would be too much of a problem, for my application.

If all else fails i'm gona have to break my mechano set out!

"has anybody found any good 3-6v motors? also need encoder discs, and decent wheels. ideally they need to be compatible without modification. "{/i] I can't help with the motors or wheels, but I wrote a freeware program you can use to design and print your own codewheels. You can find it here: http://www.mrgoodbench.com/Delphi/Codewheel.html Have fun! TJ