Motor/LED/Switch code

My goal is to have an LED blink at a constant rate of 4 Hz and turn on for 1 second when the switch is pressed, following this one second the motor is supposed to turn in three seconds. I believe I have everything connected correctly and my code shows no errors but when connected the LED only glows constantly. Can anyone maybe find some bugs? Thanks.

/*---------------------------------------- LED/Switch/Motor program

------------------------------------------*/

define LED 2

define SWITCH 3

define MOTOR 4

void setup() { pinMode(LED,OUTPUT); pinMode(SWITCH,INPUT); digitalWrite(LED,LOW); // start with LED off pinMode(MOTOR,OUTPUT); pinMode(SWITCH,INPUT); // start with MOTOR off digitalWrite(MOTOR,LOW); }

void loop()

{

digitalWrite(2,HIGH); // pin 2 high (LED on) delay(125); // wait 500 ms digitalWrite(2,LOW); // pin 2 low (LED off) delay(125); // wait 500 ms digitalWrite(2,HIGH); // pin 2 high (LED on) delay(125); // wait 500 ms digitalWrite(2,LOW); // pin 2 low (LED off) delay(125); // wait 500 ms

while (digitalRead(SWITCH) == HIGH) {} // wait for button down delay(10); // add time to debounce switch while (digitalRead(SWITCH) == LOW) {} // and wait for button up digitalWrite(LED,HIGH); // turn LED on while (digitalRead(SWITCH) == HIGH) {} // wait for button down delay(2000); // debounce while (digitalRead(SWITCH) == LOW) {} // and wait for button up digitalWrite(LED,LOW); // turn LED off

while (digitalRead(SWITCH) == HIGH) {} // wait for button down delay(1010); // add time to debounce switch while (digitalRead(SWITCH) == LOW) {} // and wait for button up digitalWrite(MOTOR,HIGH); // turn MOTOR on while (digitalRead(SWITCH) == HIGH) {} // wait for button down delay(3000); // debounce while (digitalRead(SWITCH) == LOW) {} // and wait for button up digitalWrite(MOTOR,LOW); // turn MOTOR off } // repeat

My goal is to have an LED blink at a constant rate of 4 Hz

With all those delay()s? Forget it.

delay(2000);                        // debounce

What kind of switch are you using? Nothing bounces that long.

#define LED 2
  pinMode(LED,OUTPUT);
  digitalWrite(2,HIGH);  // pin 2 high (LED on)
  delay(125);            // wait 500 ms
  digitalWrite(2,LOW);   // pin 2 low (LED off)
  digitalWrite(2,HIGH);  // pin 2 high (LED on)
  digitalWrite(2,LOW);   // pin 2 low (LED off)

125 != 500.

You give the pin a name, and remember it for a very short period of time. Then, Alzheimer's kicks in?

I believe I have everything connected correctly

But, you're not going to tell us how that is?

Sorry, I thought I had adjusted all the side notes accordingly. The first piece of code should repeat when the circuit isn’t being affected by the switch. Therefore, the light should blink until the button is pressed and then flash for a second, the motor will spin for three and the blinking will resume at 4 Hz. Is there a way to separate these two functions more effectively?

I’ve attached a photo of my set-up.

There doesn't seem to be any code there to do what you say you're trying to do; it all seems to be waiting for you to press and release buttons before any action.

I suggest you look at the 'blink without delay' example sketch to understand how to make things happen at regular intervals. You would need to use this technique to make the LED flash, and also use it to make the flashing and the motor movement start and stop at the appropriate times.

Do you have a suitable motor shield and power supply to drive the motor? You'd better not be connecting it directly to the Arduino.

Ok I will look into that, I was given template code and it is a little confusing for me. The motor is attached to a 12 V battery.