Motor Shield Alternatives?

I want to control some motors (running off wall current 115v) but the arduino motor shield dosen't carry that high of a voltage. Can I use some relays I have laying around to control them from the arduino???

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Sure. Are they rated for the voltage & current you expect to use?
Wire them up like an H-bridge so you can change directions.
Never turn on both relays on the same side of the motor at the same time.

Sounds good by me! I'll have to check what Voltage and Amperage their rated at, that totally slipped my mind.
Sorry I have not replied earlier, I've been busy writing code and building stuff.
Thanks for your help!

CrossRoads:
Never turn on both relays on the same side of the motor at the same time.

Surely you would only have one relay on each motor terminal, which connects the terminal to either high or low. Unless it's wired wrongly, there should never be any situation where the power supply could be directly shorted through the relays.

It would be sensible to add some flyback diodes across the motor to reduce arcing across the relay contacts as they open.

This approach is probably not a good one if you wanted to use PWM to vary the motor speed since relays don't operate very fast and will wear out if pulsed continuously.

Flyback diodes across the relay switch won't work if you're switching AC. Put your diode across the coil of the relay to protect Arduino output from flyback.

I want to control some motors (running off wall current 115v)

These 115vac motors? Properly rated relays should work. There are also inexpensive ac motor controllers on ebay.