Motor Shield and Motor Power Questions

Hello,

I have a few quesitons regarding the Arduino Motor Shield.

1. I wanted to know if the Arduino Motor Shield can control a bipolar motor? I assume it can already control unipolar.

2. On the spec sheet for the stepper motor I want to control it says it has an operational voltage of about 5V. If I can use the board for bipolar (as asked before), can I power the shield, uno and motor off of the same 9V cable?

3. Why is it that the Sield can only control one stepper motor at a time but 2 DC motors at the same time? If I want to control 2+ stepper motors, does this mean I need multiple boards?

pk2-catalogue-2013-en.pdf (1.24 MB)

If you mean the official Arduino shield with the flat/big L298, then probably no.
This is advertised as a stepper motor driver, which it is not. It's a brushed DC motor driver.
You might get away with a small high impedance stepper without too much heat,
but this ancient chip is not designed for modern low impedance stepper motors.
Can't advice you the right chip/board, because you didn't post the datasheet for the stepper motor.
Leo..

1. No.

2. Yes.

3. Look at the wires. A DC motor has 2 wires. A bipolar stepper has 4. The shield has 4 output terminals.

Buy a proper stepper motor driver for your motor.

Wawa:
Can't advice you the right chip/board, because you didn't post the datasheet for the stepper motor.

Thanks for your response. I edited the original post to attach the pdf catalog for the motor I have. The exact motors I have are PK266-01A and PK264-01A. I would preferably like to use the Arduino UNO to be the controller even if I need to buy a different brand driver. Would that still be possible or is it better to just use non-Arduino products for what I want to do? If I need to use another product entirely, would an Adafruit board be sufficient? They advertise that their stuff does work for unipolar stepper motors (Not sure about bipolar). In the end I want to be able to control two different stepper motors.

MorganS:
Buy a proper stepper motor driver for your motor.

There are so many options and I am just learning how to do this for the first time. I spent all day yesterday looking at different boards but it wasn't exactly clear enough to me out of all the boards, which one would be most ideal. Just as you and Wawa have answered, the Arduino Shield advertised itself as a stepper motor driver, but apparently it is not. So this additional layer of whether the advertised products actually do the job for me makes it more complicated.

From what I find on the motor that you list in reply #3 (0.71A coil current) the A4988 or DRV8825 drivers would be a good choice. Be sure to follow the directions on the Pololu page(s) to set the coil current limits on the drivers. This step is NOT optional.

groundFungus:
From what I find on the motor that you list in reply #3 (0.71A coil current) the A4988 or DRV8825 drivers would be a good choice.

I can also use the same power source for them as the motor and still use the Arduino UNO to control them?

I agree with groundFungus that these steppers are 0.71A max (page 16 of the datasheet).

There are CNC shields (ebay) that you can plug in up to four of these A4988 modules.
That could be the easiest solution for your two motors.

You can use a 12volt power source, or higher, as these drivers regulate the current for the motor.
A higher supply voltage results in a higher possible motor speed.
Leo..