Motor to Control Manual Switches on Speaker Amp

Dear All,

I am brand new to Arduino and have gotten interested in the hopes of solving one of the most annoying problems with my speaker system. I have a AV cabinet in which I have a 6 channel (3 sets of 2) speaker amp that powers 2 speakers in the living room, 2 in the dining room, and 2 on the deck. Unfortunately, given that one amp powers all 6 speakers, there is no way, other than manually, to adjust the volumes for each individual speaker (or more importantly, pair of speakers). I am invisioning a a system in which I have an Arduino based motor that would turn the little knobs either left or right (to adjust the volume) based on a signal from some sort of remote, probably IR. Ideally, I would be able to say, press volume up on a remote, have the send a signal to the Arduino motor which would then turn the correct 2 speaker knobs to the right to the the volume up on those speakers. I know this is confusing (at least I feel so explaining it) so I hope this picture helps. I'd love any suggestions or advice or help.

Thanks,
Lane

I know this is confusing (at least I feel so explaining it) so I hope this picture helps. I'd love any suggestions or advice or help.

Well it would be a little mechanically challenging, but if you could couple a small servo to each level control pot the 180 degree servo travel would probably handle most of the useful range needed to control each channel. Controlling servos via a IR remote is not a hard or uncommon arduino project, lots of examples around.

Just one possibility, look to see what others might suggest.

Lefty