Motorcycle battery YTZ12S with stepper driver drv8825

Is it possible to use the motorcycle battery YTZ12S with the stepper driver DRV8825? I have tried to use this battery to power a stepper motor via the stepper driver drv8825 but I think I fried the stepper driver. Can someone provide me with a connection scheme? How can I check if my stepper driver is fried?

I don't know what a YTZ12S battery is but, assuming it is a 12v or 24v battery it should be perfectly suitable. The voltage from a 6v battery is probably too low.

If you want more advice please

• post a link to the datasheet for your stepper motor
  • post your program
  • make a pencil drawing showing all your connections and post a photo of that. See this Simple Image Posting Guide

...R

rowie:
Can someone provide me with a connection scheme?

Robin2:
I don't know what a YTZ12S battery is but, assuming it is a 12v or 24v battery it should be perfectly suitable. The voltage from a 6v battery is probably too low.

If you want more advice please

• post a link to the datasheet for your stepper motor
  • post your program
  • make a pencil drawing showing all your connections and post a photo of that. See this Simple Image Posting Guide

...R

Hi,
Thanks for your response.
Down below I placed some pictures of my setup and the datasheet of the motor. Now I use the CNC shield v3 for the stepper motor drivers so I don't think that I make a mistake in wiring. Especially, bc I double-check the enable pin on both boards (DRV8825 and CNC board). The black circle on the picture with the boards is the wiring with alligator clips who I can clip on the battery (other picture). I think the battery causes some issues but I am not sure.
Do you know a way how to check if my stepper motor drivers (DRV8825) are still working? Because I think I fried them all...

This is link to datasheet of my stepper motor: 17HS3401 Datasheet | MotionKing - Datasheetspdf.com

rowie:
Do you know a way how to check if my stepper motor drivers (DRV8825) are still working? Because I think I fried them all...

The only way that I know is by trying a new good one.

Be VERY CAREFUL never to connect or disconnect the wires between the motor and the stepper driver while the driver is powered up. The driver will be instantly destroyed.

...R

But I can power the driver when the motor is NOT connected?

But I can power the driver when the motor is NOT connected?

Yes, but why?

At some point, you have to connect the motor. If you do that while the system is powered up, as Robin2 said, the driver will be instantly destroyed.

Solder connections or use high quality, securely fastened screw connectors.

You should always add an external power supply capacitor to damp out inductive kicks in the battery leads, as shown in the Pololu connection diagram (linked in reply #2).

jremington:
Yes, but why?

At some point, you have to connect the motor. If you do that while the system is powered up, as Robin2 said, the driver will be instantly destroyed.

Solder connections or use high quality, securely fastened screw connectors.

You should always add an external power supply capacitor to damp out inductive kicks in the battery leads, as shown in the Pololu connection diagram (linked in reply #2).

Why power without motor => I have to set the maximum current for the motor via the potentiometer on the driver board and for this I do not need the motor to be connected.
add capacitor => Isn't this already provided on the CNC shield v3?

rowie:
I have to set the maximum current for the motor via the potentiometer on the driver board and for this I do not need the motor to be connected.

You do not need the motor power to be connected for that purpose, only the 5v power.

Alternatively there is no problem adjusting the current while the motor, and the motor power is connected.

...R

add capacitor => Isn't this already provided on the CNC shield v3?

Why ask us? Do your own research.