Motorcycle(KTM) speedo/ABS sensors

Hello,

I am currently working on a motorcycle data logger which records the wheel speed sensor signal coming from ABS sensors. Actually I perform tests on a scooter but I would like to use a KTM 1290.

I realized an interface circuit between scooter’s magnetoresistive speed sensor and the Arduino. It works perfectly.

Now the problem is the bosch ABS sensors of the KTM which seems to be different and I didn’t find any information or datasheet.

There are two references on the sensor’s wire:
0 265 008 934

First I unplugged the sensor connector on the motorcycle, I checked the voltage between the two wires from ABS ECU side and I am a little bit surprised there is 0V.

So 2 suspicions:

• ABS ECU detects a missing sensor and stops to power it
  • it’s a passive sensor

I checked with a DMM the output AC voltage still nothing so it seems to be an active ABS sensor.
Is there another way to check?

I would like to know if someone has any info or advice about this kind of sensor especially how I could determine the right way to power it (no information about pin 1 and pin 2 on the picture).

Thank you,
Pm

Did you check the output signal while the wheel was turning? (And the sensor attached, obviously)

lg, couka

I checked the sensor with the ABS ring removed from the motorcycle.
You are right it's safer to test the sensor on the vehicle.

I wonder if it's not a three wire sensor whose the mass would be connected to the motorcycle frame via the screw.

Thank you,
Pm

Hi,
The sensor is a coil, reluctance sensor, the passing of the teeth over the end induces an AC current in the coil.

Tom... :slight_smile:
Google ABS speed sensors

Doesn't the big KTM have a CAN Bus? If yes you could grab many things from there.

Hi,
The sensor is a coil, reluctance sensor, the passing of the teeth over the end induces an AC current in the coil.

I am not sure. I did the same with a scooter's WSS and it was an active two wire magnetoresistive sensor.

I remember when I tested the KTM sensor I get an infinite resistance (I will confirm it in a bit).

Doesn't the big KTM have a CAN Bus? If yes you could grab many things from there.

You are right there is a CAN Bus with a diagnostic plug. I think it's not so easy to grab information from the BUS. If you find someone ables to do it, for sure he will fin thousand of friends on KTM forum. :slight_smile:

Before buying the 1290 I had a KTM 690 and I used TuneECU to customize the injection map, .... I thought the soft will be compatible with the 1290 but no way. It seems that KTM engineers have strengthened the communication security.

Thank you,
Pm

432 kOhm :-\

Hello,

I tested the sensor on the motorcycle with the DMM in AC mode and nothing. I sent an email to bosh support even if I have very little hope in order to get the datasheet.

Maybe someone has other suggestion?

Thank you,
Pm

powergravity:
Maybe someone has other suggestion?

Checking the signal with an oscilloscope is what I would do at this point. I guess the low voltage is just lost in the rectifier circuit of the DMM.

lg, couka

powergravity:
432 kOhm :-\

Yes sounds a bit too high.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/?t=16782

Tom.. :slight_smile:

Hi did you had a reply from Bosch or did you manage to find out how to connect the sensor, I also have a duke 125 with 0.5 MOhm sensor and I did not manage to measure something useful.

Hello,

I'm actually in project to hack the CAN bus of a KTM; and for the moment I'm able to visualize the data in my arduino IDE, and Im able to find also the relative data provided by the wheel speed sensor . But as you I don't found the datasheet of the hall effect sensor so I don't knew what exactely the data means; so if you have found the datasheet please share it if you can; it will very hekpful ;

thankyou;