Motorized camera slider

Looking for advice on the feasibility of using Arduino to control a stepper motor which will drive a carriage along a rail with a DSLR camera, for time lapse photography. The finished control box will require an LCD screen with a simple menu, allowing number of shots to be taken, distance moved per shot and delay per shot to be changed. To get the control box/ stepper motor to run in step the camera will need interfaced with it.

Are there programmers that will take a project such as this on? If so what is the best way to reach them? My personal programming knowledge is next to zero and as this program will be used in a product it needs to be fully functional, and not done my an amateur.

It's much easier to work on Arduino projects when you have access to the target hardware. Because of that you might want to seek someone local to you. To do that you should probably give an indication of where in the world you are.

johnwasser:
It's much easier to work on Arduino projects when you have access to the target hardware. Because of that you might want to seek someone local to you. To do that you should probably give an indication of where in the world you are.

Thanks for the reply.

I am located in London, UK. However, can send any hardware required to the developer. So would be easiest if in the UK.

I have implemented a coulpe of similar projects
based just north of London
PM or email if you'd like to discuss further
:slight_smile: Mike

I have done this, but without the display. It works excellent. Besides time lapse where the number of images taken is less than 1000, it also works in video mode. You can walk away while it is recording because it detects the increased torque at the end of travel and turn off before harming itself mechanically. This is better than trying to calculate how many steps to move the motor, because of the variables involved when the string wraps around the cylinder different each time. I am willing to give you this code. I am also willing to add the display and interface if you'd like. It is easy to interface an Arduino to a Canon DSLR.

A related project is spinning a DLSR while recording video. It can move 30 deg in about 1 frame, which of course is extremely blurry, then take a clear shot, move again. When you decimate the video in Virtualdub the effect is to get 2 or up to 10 different videos, although at a much lower frame rate. The precision of a stepper motor keeps each frame the same, except when you zoom past 55mm.