Motorized Laser

Dear, good afternoon everyone!

I would greatly appreciate your help and advice to support a friend who is doomed with the birds that are eating his fruits on his farm.

The project is about an automatic laser to scare birds. It is already proven that the laser scares away birds. They perceive it as a threat.

What I need is to carry out the program to move a Pan Tilt Outdoor with a Laser in its header that does at least 3 routines programmed automatically every certain interval of time.

For example, it works about 3 hours, stop half an hour to rest and then continue with the routine and so on automatically.

Ideal that the installation has an external button to start routine and another emergency STOP button.

The ultimate goal is to scare away the birds with a powerful and fat pointer that we already bought for which we await their arrival.

The components to use are:

Arduino Uno – Control Central Link Amazon
Pan Tilt BS -303 – Para mover Laser Link Aliexpress
Laser 100mW 532 nm – Para apuntar al campo Link eBay
Housing Laser (con un ventilador) – Para proteger y ventilar Laser Link eBay
Driver L298 - ( D O U B T :s ) ¿? Link Amazon
Relé 12 V – Para encender/apagar Laser Link Amazon
Reloj DS3231 – Control de horarios de funcionamiento Link Amazon
Botón Verde ON Link Amazon
Botón Rojo STOP Link Amazon

I already did a short program with 3 routines to move a servomotor that I attached, however, I still have not managed to solve is how to connect the Arduino Uno with the Pan Tilt.
Will a driver like the LN298 be needed? Here is my big question.

I also need to add the operating times. The automatic laser on and off via Relay and the physical button to start the routine and an Emergency STOP.

Please if you can give me a hand or several, I will greatly appreciate it and when it is finished I share all the resources so that it can be replicated. I understand that this is happening everywhere in the world.
:slight_smile:

//// #include <Servo.h>

Servo servo1; // SERVO HORINZONTAL
Servo servo2; // SERVO VERTICAL

int PINSERVO = 6;
int PINSERVO2 = 11;
int PULSOMIN = 800;
int PULSOMAX = 2300;

void setup() {

servo1.attach(PINSERVO, PULSOMIN, PULSOMAX);
  servo2.attach(PINSERVO2, PULSOMIN, PULSOMAX);
}

void loop() {

//***********PRIMERA SECUENCIA (BARRIDO) ************************

servo1.write(60);
  delay(1000);

servo2.write(90);
  delay(1000);

servo1.write(120);
  delay(1000);

servo2.write(95);
  delay(1000);

servo1.write(60);
  delay(1000);

servo2.write(100);
  delay(1000);

servo1.write(120);
  delay(1000);

servo2.write(105);
  delay(1000);

servo1.write(60);
  delay(1000);

servo2.write(110);
  delay(1000);

delay(3000);

//***********SEGUNDA SECUENCIA (ALEATORIO)************************

servo1.write(140);
  servo2.write(110);
  delay(500);
  servo1.write(40);
  servo2.write(90);
  delay(500);
  servo1.write(140);
  servo2.write(120);
  delay(500);
  servo1.write(40);
  servo2.write(90);
  delay(500);

delay(3000);
  //***********TERCERA SECUENCIA (SIERRA)************************

servo2.write(90);
  servo1.write(120);
  delay(500);

servo2.write(110);
  servo1.write(100);
  delay(500);

servo2.write(90);
  servo1.write(90);
  delay(500);

servo2.write(110);
  servo1.write(80);
  delay(500);

servo2.write(90);
  servo1.write(70);
  delay(500);

servo2.write(110);
  servo1.write(60);
  delay(500);

servo2.write(90);
  servo1.write(50);
  delay(500);

servo2.write(110);
  servo1.write(40);
  delay(500);

delay(3000);

}

The Aliexpress page for the pan/tilt mechanism tells you that it requires serial communication for control.
I don't think that you will ever use the LN298 driver.

First step is to go through the list of supported protocols and attempt to find one that has a corresponding Arduino library.

Have you checked to see if this kind of laser system is allowed in your country?

You definitely need to add mechanical angle limiters so that it's impossible to accidentally point it at the sky. You will find that the aviation industry/law enforcement in most countries have zero tolerance to aircraft being illuminated by lasers.

You’d be smarter animating scarecrows since they can’t blind anyone.

We have rules here where if a bunch of dead blind birds get found the cause of the blindness may be in trouble.
But a single person even temporarily blinded gets instant attention.

mikb55:
The Aliexpress page for the pan/tilt mechanism tells you that it requires serial communication for control.
I don't think that you will ever use the LN298 driver.

First step is to go through the list of supported protocols and attempt to find one that has a corresponding Arduino library.

Have you checked to see if this kind of laser system is allowed in your country?

You definitely need to add mechanical angle limiters so that it's impossible to accidentally point it at the sky. You will find that the aviation industry/law enforcement in most countries have zero tolerance to aircraft being illuminated by lasers.

As the manufacturer wrote to me, it says it supports RS485.

In my country there is no problem with the use.

Regarding the physical limits of movements, this PanTilt has stops to avoid aiming at the sky.

As the manufacturer wrote to me, it says it supports RS485.

You'll need an RS-485 driver chip. That should be fairly easy.

Then, it looks like it supports several different protocols ("Communication Agreement"). You'll need to research those protocols and find one that's well documented that you can understand. That could take some time, study, and experimentation.

...It would probably be easier to get a "plain" servo motor pan & tilt mechanism. Those are common in the robotics hobby so you should be able to find one that's well-documented and easy to use, and there is a servo library for the Arduino. (Servo motors also have a built-in driver so you just have to send low-level "signals".)

DVDdoug:
You'll need an RS-485 driver chip. That should be fairly easy.

Then, it looks like it supports several different protocols ("Communication Agreement"). You'll need to research those protocols and find one that's well documented that you can understand. That could take some time, study, and experimentation.

...It would probably be easier to get a "plain" servo motor pan & tilt mechanism. Those are common in the robotics hobby so you should be able to find one that's well-documented and easy to use, and there is a servo library for the Arduino. (Servo motors also have a built-in driver so you just have to send low-level "signals".)

Dear thanks!

Would I need a module like this?
RS-485 TTL to RS485 MAX485CSA Converter Module""