Mount Arduino with SD card at PC over RS232 as USSB flash disk #JustForFun

Hi, I found interesting project: Parallel port SD card reader for linux. User connect SD card to parallel port and mount it in linux as normal USB flash disk.

I have another idea - is possible to use Arduino with SD card connected over RS-232 to PC and mount this SD card as USB flash disk? 1) Insert SD card to Arduino 2) Connect Arduino over RS-232 (or FTDI USB) to pc 3) On PC mount it as USB flash disk

Is there any such project?

Hardware is easy. But Arduino sketch and PC driver will be problem.

I know this is completely unnecessary and a waste of time. But it's a fun challenge!

There are a limited number of writes you can do on a SD card.

LarryD: There are a limited number of writes you can do on a SD card.

SD card in USB reader have a limited number of writes too...

There are a limited number of writes you can do on a SD card.

This is not a practical problem with wear leveling in modern SD cards. What do you think the limit is?

SD card at PC over RS232 as USSB flash disk

It wouldn't be a USB mass storage device. It makes no sense to try to implement the USB client mass storage protocol over RS232.

It wouldn't be too difficult to implement a block driver over RS232. It would be really slow and fragile.

It would be interesting if you could access files simultaneously on the PC and Arduino. This was tried years ago unsuccessfully.

Sharing a mass storage device at the block level doesn't work, that's why the NFS protocol was invented 30 years ago in 1984 to share files.

Real data on wear leveling is hard to come by. I was involved with an embedded system company that recently did a test using 40 4GB Sandisk microSDHC cards. They found these cards are good for about 6TB of writes and you can't burn a single block since wear leveling does a physical to logical address mapping.

I would be surprised if you could write at more than 10 KB/sec over RS232. This is under 1GB/day so a card would last well over ten years.