Mounting Weather Sensors

I purchased a barometric pressure sensor and a humidity sensor from sparkfun. I am going to mount these in a Stevenson Screen that I made. I do not know how to mount these to a threaded rod that will be going through the screen. An example of what I am building is here.

How do I make the wiring more permanent where all the sensors come together? I am going to feed the wires from the sensors into an arduino, but I would like to have them soldered to something. Using a breadboard seems more like a temporary thing. Thanks for any help.

Those breakout boards both have mounting holes. I suggest you take an aluminium plate, drill a hole in it for the threaded rod, and mount the plate on the rod between two nuts. Then attach the breakout boards to the metal plate using standoffs.

Alternatively, take a piece of stripboard, drill a hole in it for the threaded rod, mount the breakout boards on it using 0.1" header strips soldered to both the breakout board and the stripboard, and mount the stripboard on the threaded rod between two nuts. You can then make the connections to the breakout boards via the stripboard.

How about stripboard (also called veroboard), header pins and/or header sockets?

Paul

Edit: dc42 beat me to it...

Search Sparkfun for 0.1" headers & sockets and protoboard.

Wnt2bsleepin:
I purchased a barometric pressure sensor and a humidity sensor from sparkfun. I am going to mount these in a Stevenson Screen that I made. I do not know how to mount these to a threaded rod that will be going through the screen. An example of what I am building is here.

How do I make the wiring more permanent where all the sensors come together? I am going to feed the wires from the sensors into an arduino, but I would like to have them soldered to something. Using a breadboard seems more like a temporary thing. Thanks for any help.

I would solder the wires directly to the pinouts on both boards and then mount the boards back to back on a small sheet of acrylic (one on each side of the acrylic)

Having this outside it is only a matter of time until ants or some other creepy crawly gets into it.

Take the wires you have soldered to the board and then terminate them in a suitable connector - for a number of my DHT11 - i have actually mounted them inside a small RJ45 termination outlet - like this one on EBAY

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/8P8C-RJ45-Surface-Mount-Network-Jack-w-Connect-Block-/151075417368?pt=AU_CablesConnectors&hash=item232ccbed18&_uhb=1

The wires from the sensor screw down inside the housing to the RJ45 connector - you then just run a single RJ45 cable outside to it

Craig

Cool idea, cragicurtain!

craigcurtin:

Wnt2bsleepin:

I would solder the wires directly to the pinouts on both boards and then mount the boards back to back on a small sheet of acrylic (one on each side of the acrylic)

Having this outside it is only a matter of time until ants or some other creepy crawly gets into it.

Take the wires you have soldered to the board and then terminate them in a suitable connector - for a number of my DHT11 - i have actually mounted them inside a small RJ45 termination outlet - like this one on EBAY

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/8P8C-RJ45-Surface-Mount-Network-Jack-w-Connect-Block-/151075417368?pt=AU_CablesConnectors&hash=item232ccbed18&_uhb=1

The wires from the sensor screw down inside the housing to the RJ45 connector - you then just run a single RJ45 cable outside to it

Craig

hang on - just noticed that one of your sensors is i2c - this will mean that you will have to put your arduino out there - I2c will not run more than a couple of metres reliably - is this what you were planning on ?

If so you could put a mini or tiny out there and mount it in the same housings i linked - then run data and power over an RJ45 cable and break it out in the box

Craig

aarondc:
Cool idea, cragicurtain!

thanks - i have about one per year !!!

Craig

I find enclosure drilling and even initial choice the most difficult part for construction. Programming is easy, electronics solutions are ubiquitous and essentially plug, program and play. 3D printer will come, as will a CNC, but in the mean time, man. Enclosures (sized efficiently, "holed" correctly) == head ache.

I was actually planning on running the cables into the house from the roof, where the Arduino and Raspberry Pi would be. However, the i2c is going to be an issue since the run is definitely more than a couple of meters. However, I don't want to have to deal with running all these wires all over the place anyway. Sounds like I could just mount the Arduino and Raspberry Pi outside in an enclosure.

Would I need to ventilate that enclosure? It can get very hot outside, I wouldn't be surprised if the inside of the enclosure is 120F or higher. If I were to put the processing parts of the project outside with the measuring equipment, that would save me a lot of hassle running wires. I would just have them all go into the enclosure. I just need to make sure that I can reliably mount this on the roof to an existing mount.

I have counted 10 wires to be needed for this.
Power (3 Wires)

• 5V
  • 3.3V
  • Ground

Analog (3 Wires)

• Anemometer
  • Weather Vane
  • Rain Gauge

Digital (4 Wires)

• Humidity Sensor(Not I2C)
  • Pressure Sensor(I2C)

craigcurtin:

craigcurtin:

Wnt2bsleepin:

Craig

hang on - just noticed that one of your sensors is i2c - this will mean that you will have to put your arduino out there - I2c will not run more than a couple of metres reliably - is this what you were planning on ?

If so you could put a mini or tiny out there and mount it in the same housings i linked - then run data and power over an RJ45 cable and break it out in the box

Craig

Is the case large enough to hold an Arduino and an Raspberry Pi?

Wnt2bsleepin:

craigcurtin:

craigcurtin:

Wnt2bsleepin:

Nope not even close.

Humidity if you mount these outside is going to be a killer and regardless you are going to have to run wires for power unless you are planning on Solar ?

I would not put the Pi out there - put a small Arduino - a mini or some such out there and then cable back into the house to the Rpi

Craig

Craig

Craig

Is the case large enough to hold an Arduino and an Raspberry Pi?