Movement tracking

Hi! I need to track movement in 1mm accuracy on y-axis (+tilt, but I got that covered). I've ordered MPU6050 (GY-521) for my project. Now that I've googled about the subject for a few weeks my head is spinning. Is it even possible to do with a 6DOF imu? If so, could you point me in the right direction and give me some advice regarding mathematics?

Thanks in advance!

Is it even possible to do with a 6DOF imu?

No, especially not for 1 mm accuracy. Here is why not: http://www.chrobotics.com/library/accel-position-velocity

What is the distance range that you wish to track? For short distances (a meter or less) there are linear transducers.

jremington: No, especially not for 1 mm accuracy. Here is why not: http://www.chrobotics.com/library/accel-position-velocity

What is the distance range that you wish to track? For short distances (a meter or less) there are linear transducers.

Thanks for the link. Errors stated there were much bigger than I expected. Range is 15cm and maximum time to travel that range is ~10s. After that time I can reset. Sadly a component that needs to be attached from 2 points doesn't serve purpose.

I got the idea when I was playing google's little online star wars game which you play with your computer and link your phone to act as a lightsaber. Lightsaber would move as you move your phone. Accuracy wasn't great, but much better than those errors stated in your link and position didn't float. Same thing with Logitech MX Air, but with better accuracy. Logitech's mouse's accuracy would be sufficient for the start! Difference is that I need only Y-axis to be tracked.

You could use something like a Wii Camera to track an object with a couple IR LEDs on it.

The more information you provide about what you're trying to do the more people will be able to help. The best solution for tracking objects depends a lot on the specifics of the application.

DuaneDegn: You could use something like a Wii Camera to track an object with a couple IR LEDs on it.

The more information you provide about what you're trying to do the more people will be able to help. The best solution for tracking objects depends a lot on the specifics of the application.

Those ideas won't help neither. It's a digitally controlled car's air suspension. I've already made it work with angular position sensors linked to every lower arm, but I'm keen to make it work without any additional mechanical parts (in other words to be easier to install and just because I'm always interested developing everything further and further).

An ultrasonic or infra-red distance sensor is all you need. It won't work if it gets mud on the lens but it will work in most other conditions that would destroy other sensors.

MorganS: An ultrasonic or infra-red distance sensor is all you need. It won't work if it gets mud on the lens but it will work in most other conditions that would destroy other sensors.

Those were my first ideas when I was staring the whole project. I live in Finland were we have like 3 weeks of sunny days without rain in a year, so they are out of question :D

What about this: GY-521s attached to every lower arm (every corner) measuring their tilt and 1 to the chassis telling those other 4 how much the car (=road) is tilting? Hopefully you guys understand what. I'm trying to state here, my english isn't so great!