Moving back and forth between Mac OS and Windows 7

Hello, if sometimes I develop an Arduino program under Mac OS and want to switch to Windows or vice versa, is it as simple as just copying the Arduino folder back and forth? Will there be compatibility problems doing so?

You should be able to transfer the sketchbook folder - which is the only folder you would want to transfer - without problems. I transfer between Linux and Windoze from time to time.

You would have gone through the library building process in the same way on each.

Thanks. I think in Windows, they call the folder sketchbook but under Mac OS, they call the folder Arduino. I guess I just copy and rename the folder. Then, go through the library building process you mentioned. Am I right?

newto_arduino:
Thanks. I think in Windows, they call the folder sketchbook but under Mac OS, they call the folder Arduino. I guess I just copy and rename the folder. Then, go through the library building process you mentioned. Am I right?

Why do you need to rename the folder?

What library building process?

Because on the Mac, the folder named libraries is under a folder called Arduino. I read that on Windows PC, the “libraries” folder is under a folder called Sketchbook. Thus, I need to rename. Am I confused?

As for library building process, I think Paul__B meant using Sketch->Include Library->Manage Libraries to import some library codes from the manufacturer of sensors/breakout boards/sheilds. Again, please correct me if I am wrong.

newto_arduino:
As for library building process, I think Paul__B meant using Sketch->Include Library->Manage Libraries to import some library codes from the manufacturer of sensors/breakout boards/sheilds. Again, please correct me if I am wrong.

You do that once and you are done and has nothing to do with moving sketches between the two computers.

newto_arduino:
Because on the Mac, the folder named libraries is under a folder called Arduino. I read that on Windows PC, the "libraries" folder is under a folder called Sketchbook. Thus, I need to rename. Am I confused?

Yes, you are confused, because each sketch has its own directory, or didn't you even notice? :o

Actually, under windoze 7 with the Arduino 1.6.7 IDE installed, the sketchbook folder is under my home directory and is just called "C:\Users\mikey\Documents\Arduino" - I remember reading somewhere it had changed from "sketchbook" to "Arduino" but I don't remember exactly where that was (the grey hair seems to be interfering with the grey cells :confused: )