Moving flight controls with a stepper motor.

I have a throttle and stick control that I want to move when my autopilot kicks on and will move the controls accordingly. Can anyone recommend a stepper motor for this?

Piggermortis:
I have a throttle and stick control that I want to move when my autopilot kicks on and will move the controls accordingly. Can anyone recommend a stepper motor for this?

You can certainly do better than this! Is this for a 474 or a toy? The throttles in planes I have seen use either a lever or a rod to push/pull. How would you attach a stepper motor to this?

If the autopilot "kicks on", why doesn't it control these things?

Paul

Is this for a real airplane or a game?

How can anyone recommend a motor when you have not given us any idea of how much torque or speed is required.

And a diagram of the machine to which the motors will be connected would help.

Indeed, I wonder if a stepper motor is appropriate.

...R

More details needed. Flight controls on what exactly? Off hand I can't think of any flight control questions where the right answer would be any type of stepper motor. Servos are designed for the purpose, though the ones we most commonly see round here are intended only for models.

Steve.

It is for a flight sim. The controls move for asthetecs. I will be communicating with an arduino. The body of the controllers are lightweight plastic. I figured using a servo would be ruined by being moved up/down when controlled manually.

Piggermortis:
I figured using a servo would be ruined by being moved up/down when controlled manually.

That is probably correct.

However stepper motors are very difficult to move if they are powered and the Arduino will lose track of their position if they are depowered. Actually the Arduino will also lose track of the position if they are forcefully moved when powered.

I think DC motors would be more suitable - especially if the purpose is just to provide force-feedback.

A diagram of the machine you want to build would be a big help.

...R