MQTT Commander - an Android Application for esp8266

From http://www.mqtt.org:

MQTT is a machine-to-machine (M2M)/“Internet of Things” connectivity protocol. It was designed as an extremely lightweight publish/subscribe messaging transport.
It is useful for connections with remote locations where a small code footprint is required and/or network bandwidth is at a premium

OK… this seems to be the future for IoT control, so let’s take the plunge :smiling_imp:

This simple App can switch a light bulb or any appliance from anywhere in the world, using an Android smartphone

The demo esp8266 board:

See it in action:

>> Video <<

Android App and ESP8266 led are now fully synchronized

• the App button drives the board led
  • a led state change, using the board button, will be reflected on the Android device screen

more infos here

The project is based on the new esp8266 chip, I am baffled by this new cute WiFi device,
and may end up developing a joystick application similar to Joystick Bluetooth Commander

Final PCB design:

|500x326

• 220V to 3.3V AC/DC converter
  • ESP8266 (3 GPIO)
  • opto isolated 220V relay

Cool. How did you overcome the problems with the esp8266 and the resets or not booting properly? Ive an esp8266 and I think is very tricky, very sensitive to noise.

Cool project, can you share the code inside arduino? I have been using mqtt with Openhab , mosquito and arduino and they work great. Mqtt is a great protocol that blows my mind :grin:

mart256: Cool. How did you overcome the problems with the esp8266 and the resets or not booting properly? Ive an esp8266 and I think is very tricky, very sensitive to noise.

• 100nF capacitor between 3.3V and Ground
  • 220V stuff at left side of PCB only
  • possibly luck ;)

EDIT: 10K pullUp connected to CH_PD

Cool project, can you share the code inside arduino?

No Arduino in this project, sketch is directly uploaded to ESP8266 Code is here

… the finished project, packaged in a recovered X10 module enclosure

That’s what it is: a power socket that can be controlled at home and from anywhere around the world

Hi I saw your post here, and you did exactly what I am currently doing. Would you mind sharing your PCB layout? Thanks, Ohad

Hi Ohad,

Sorry, no PCB layout as such Wiring is really simple, just make sure to segregate Main/5V

Have a look here for additional info's

Hi Got your code running. Thanks for your efforts and making them public Would like to try the app. xxx@xxx.co.uk

Regards

Hi,

MQTT Commander V1.6 emailed to you this morning ;) For additional info, have a look here

For support and suggestions, let's continue on the Forum

Cheers