MQTT to Azure Central Via GPRS

Hi ! My name is Hieu and i’m from VietNam. Recently I was assigned to a school project which I had to transfer temperature data into Azure Central by GPRS and it must used protocol MQTT.
I asked my teacher about the way to start and he sent me this link :
GitHub - firedog1024/arduino-uno-wifi-iotc: How to get an Arduino Uno WiFi Rev2 board to talk to Azure IoT Central : He wants me to read this and custom it. But i think i’m crazy cuz from my perspective this is mostly connect to wifi .

So my First Question, is it possible to publish data to Azure Central( i mean it’s like a web server) by using just GPRS ?
My Second Question, If we can publish to Azure Central, how much money will be lost?
My Last Question, I have tried and custom the TinyGSM, Which has nothing to do with Azure :slight_smile: . But I want to understand how the MQTT work, so I have set up GPRS successfully and use it to do the GET/POST on webhook and it’s worked perfectly. But when I tried to connect to MQTT cloud( mqttcloud.com is the test subject) , it’s always failed. I don’t know why and i’m starting to think this project is a dead end.

Sorry if i asked stupid question, the MQTT is still new to me
Thanks
P.s : plz don’t send me link to iot hub or how to connect to azure IOT with MQTT on Microsoft cuz i’m looking at it right now :slight_smile:

Custom TinyGSM.ino (4.52 KB)

So my First Question, is it possible to publish data to Azure Central( i mean it's like a web server) by using just GPRS ?

Theoretically yes, but as you failed to provide links to the hardware you're using, the answer may change.

My Second Question, If we can publish to Azure Central, how much money will be lost?

That depends on the standpoint. In my personal opinion all money spent for Azure is lost but not only the money, the data is lost too.

My Last Question, I have tried and custom the TinyGSM, Which has nothing to do with Azure :slight_smile: . But I want to understand how the MQTT work, so I have set up GPRS successfully and use it to do the GET/POST on webhook and it's worked perfectly. But when I tried to connect to MQTT cloud( mqttcloud.com is the test subject) , it's always failed. I don't know why and i'm starting to think this project is a dead end.

I guess the connect() method failed (although you weren't specific enough on that). Read the error that the state() method returns and print it for debugging purposes.

Thanks for the reply.

Theoretically yes, but as you failed to provide links to the hardware you’re using, the answer may change.

ah sorry my bad. I’m trying to use UNO R3 with GSM SIM800A module to publish and Sorry i can’t find any link to the hardware. Most of the link suggested me to use ESP8266 or Rasperberry PI and i’m waiting for the ESP8266 to be delivered and test it.

That depends on the standpoint. In my personal opinion all money spent for Azure is lost but not only the money, the data is lost too

Hmm if it consumes that much , then i have to persuade my teacher to switch to wifi.

I guess the connect() method failed (although you weren’t specific enough on that). Read the error that the state() method returns and print it for debugging purposes.

I’m think i know why i can’t connect to MQTTCloud. I have misunderstood about the user and pass of user from the user and pass of the instance(Like in the picture). So i will try it this afternoon and give feedback to you about it.

Hmm if it consumes that much , then i have to persuade my teacher to switch to wifi.

That has no relation to WiFi.

ah sorry my bad. I’m trying to use UNO R3 with GSM SIM800A module to publish and Sorry i can’t find any link to the hardware. Most of the link suggested me to use ESP8266 or Rasperberry PI and i’m waiting for the ESP8266 to be delivered and test it.

If your specs say that you must use GPRS there’s probably a reason for this. So you cannot simply switch over to WiFi (ESP8266 and Raspberry Pi both have WiFi onboard but no GPRS).

I’m think i know why i can’t connect to MQTTCloud. I have misunderstood about the user and pass of user from the user and pass of the instance(Like in the picture). So i will try it this afternoon and give feedback to you about it.

Is the goal to connect to CloudMQTT or to connect to Azure IoT?

Is the goal to connect to CloudMQTT or to connect to Azure IOT?

To Azure Central of course :slight_smile: Cloud MQTT is the test subject. I only use Cloud MQTT to understand how MQTT work.

If your specs say that you must use GPRS there's probably a reason for this. So you cannot simply switch over to WiFi (ESP8266 and Raspberry Pi both have WiFi on board but no Gprs).

Yep :slight_smile: you're right. He will apply this project to a place where WiFi is unavailable so I had done a little research about it and i found this blog is really helpful.
For Detail about the blog:

For GitHub code :

I think i have to do some more research about the Azure Central as well as how to MQTT before doing anything. But right now,I have achieved about 30% of the project, i think :slight_smile: . Thanks for the help, I'm really appreciated that :wink: .

To Azure Central of course :slight_smile: Cloud MQTT is the test subject. I only use Cloud MQTT to understand how MQTT work.

Not a good idea. Setup your own MQTT server (for example Mosquito on a Raspberry Pi) to understand the protocol. Most cloud installations support only a subset of the protocol.
It’s a waste of time to get around the limitations of CloudMQTT just to have the other problems on the Microsoft cloud.