ms access output,input to arduino?

can an output from ms access be used as an input variable for the programming of the arduino?

i would like to have a communication between ms access and arduino. if a certain record is found at the database of the ms access, it will send a “command” or “signal” to the arduino which will activate the motor to open a door.

please help… :frowning:

You need:

One program on your PC to read the data from your access database and write a command onto the (virtual) serial port connected to your Arduino. VisualBasic, VB.net or any other language from Microsoft and most languages for Windows PC offer the necessary functions to write this kind of program.

One program on the Arduino to read the command from the serial port and do what you want it to do. Look at the tutorial involving Serial.read() for an example how this is done.

One USB-cable to link your Arduino to your PC.

That’s all. Writing those simple programs is now left to you. From the scope, it’s a very nice beginner project to teach you about programming. I’m glad I could help you.

Korman

@ korman, thank you for your post.

you mean i need two programs? does this mean they are of different language? or can i uses only one? can i use C++ on both of them?

you mean i need two programs?

Of course.

does this mean they are of different language? or can i uses only one? can i use C++ on both of them?

You must use C++ on the Arduino. Whether the PC application is written using C++, C#, Visual Basic, or some other language is entirely up to you.