Multi-user environment

I'm trying to get my classes using Create instead of the locally installed IDE. At my school, we have restricted user accounts that won't allow us to download or install the plugin.

When an administrator installs the plugin, they can run the web IDE and upload to the board (after we bypass the firewall, but that is a separate issue).

On the same machine, I cannot get the web editor to interface with the plugin under my restricted login. What is the proper way to install in a multi-user environment? Does each user need to install the plugin under their log in?

Thanks Marc

Each computer that CREATE is used on need the certificate installed at the moment along with the correct firewall permissions etc.

If you dont have BOTH then there will be a fail of some kind.

Your Admin should be able to isolate the local folders for CREATE on each computer and elevate them for that user. He may be able to script the folders so that He does not have to do them all individually.

Education side of CREATE is seemingly on the roadmap for create but I could not tell you how far away that is at the moment.

@mrlefebvre101 thank you for using the Web Editor in your school, what boards are you using? We are indeed preparing a package specifically for schools, more updates soon!

I'm using the UNO board, and am looking forward to being able to take advantage of the cloud setup with my students. I'll further investigate the certificate issue and see if I can work it out. Thank you for your replies.

@Ballscrewbob, what are the appropriate firewall settings? Please feel free to redirect me if they're listed elsewhere.

Thanks Marc

They are not listed as such but here I use the following under Windows.

1. Start
  2. Control Panel
  3. Windows Firewall
  4. Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall
  5. You may see one or two instances of “arduino_create_bridge.exe”

I have both “Home/Work (Private)” and “Public” ticked.
Reason for all of them here is I also use VPN’s etc. and have a server too as fallback network connections.

Worth double checking at least. make a change if you have to so you can test.
Revert the change if it doesnt work for you.

Thanks. I have the "corporate" firewall that I need to get through. After installing the certs, the board is now recognized, but uploading to the board fails on downloading the avrdude package - the package never downloads. Is there a way to get a more verbose output from the debug console so I can dig into the issue (it may be a file extension problem, or the console may list a specific site that I can ask to be whitelisted). Thanks again.

Yes there are a couple of options.

On the toolbar icon right click (assuming windows) and click "Open debug console" That should open a new page with the output in it that you should be able to copy and paste.

There is also the CREATE console itself found by selecting "Preferences" tick "Always show output panel" and also "Show Verbose output" Again you can CP the output back here but make a not of which is which.

The team is awesome at deciphering the gobbledygook that shows up unlike me I just break things for them LOL.

There is also a 3rd option in most browsers but probably not required at the moment.

mrlefebvre101: I'm trying to get my classes using Create instead of the locally installed IDE. At my school, we have restricted user accounts that won't allow us to download or install the plugin.

When an administrator installs the plugin, they can run the web IDE and upload to the board (after we bypass the firewall, but that is a separate issue).

On the same machine, I cannot get the web editor to interface with the plugin under my restricted login. What is the proper way to install in a multi-user environment? Does each user need to install the plugin under their log in?

Thanks Marc

I had a similar issue with schools, I solved it by modifying some files in the arduino create agent. The modifications keep all the files in the agent location instead of user specific files, so we can just copy paste the files remotely to the student's computers (we still have to install the certificate for each computer that can be automated using a bash script)

My modifications can be found on github

Hope it helps!