Multiple areas for Aduino files

Hi everyone,

I was hoping someone could help me sort out my Arduino files. I download Arduino and installed some libraries under c:\programs\arduino\libraries. When I went to compile the program I got an error that said there were dual libraries. To make a long story short, I found extra library files under my documents. I deleted them and everything was fine for a while but then somehow the libraries were re-created under my documents. Does anyone know how to tell the Arduino program where I am storing the libraries and such?

Very confused here.

Thanks for any help.

Sam Bozman :(

SamJBoz: I download Arduino and installed some libraries under c:\programs\arduino\libraries.

Then that's your error ;) You should never ever install libraries in that folder. Always use the libaries folder in your sketchbook (documents\Arduino\libraries by default) and your fine :)

SamJBoz: When I went to compile the program I got an error that said there were dual libraries.

If you mean the "Multiple libraries were found for" message that's not an error. It's just telling you which of the libraries was used in the compile. There are cases where it is normal to have multiple libraries with the same include name. As long as it's using the library you want then it's nothing to worry about.

SamJBoz: To make a long story short, I found extra library files under my documents. I deleted them and everything was fine for a while but then somehow the libraries were re-created under my documents.

If you mean the libraries folder then that is automatically created in your sketchbook folder if not already present whenever the Arduino IDE is started. If you mean libraries inside of the {sketchbook}\libraries folder then you probably used Library Manager to install or update a library, it installs libraries to that folder.

SamJBoz: Does anyone know how to tell the Arduino program where I am storing the libraries and such?

As septillion said, user libraries should be installed to the {sketchbook}\libraries folder. You can change the location of the sketchbook folder with File > Preferences > Sketchbook location: