Multiple displays

Hi,

I've never used Arduino so not sure if this is the best approach but I'm trying to build a basic spaceship control panel for my son and wanted to have a few displays. I have a few questions and would appreciate any advice.

1. Do I need an Arduino unit for each display or could something like the Mega run a couple of displays?
  2. Are they capable of running video clips on a loop?
  3. How easy is it to program based on having no knowledge? I know lots of code can be found on the net but is what I'm trying to achieve realistic?

Thanks in advance.

An Arduino does not have the speed or memory capacity for video or even still photos. You need at least a RaspberryPI for that.

You need to explain in a lot more detail what you want to achieve.

My guess is you would need an Arduino for each display - but they would be very simple images.

This Thread may be of interest

...R

Thanks Robin2,

The link you provided has displays similar to what I was thinking. They don't need to display real values, just random. There would be things like a fuel bar which decreases, a laser display which can decrease while the trigger is applied and then slowly increase when released. I'm trying to make a (very) basic Star Wars ship cockpit of sorts so there will be a variety of LED's, switches, buttons etc and sounds.

The displays are just to add a bit of variety and some basic feedback to things he's doing.

Robin2: An Arduino does not have the speed or memory capacity for video or even still photos.

An Arduino with colour display and SD card with correctly-scaled bitmap (not JPEG) images, is capable of displaying still photos.

brittonc2109: Hi,

I've never used Arduino so not sure if this is the best approach but I'm trying to build a basic spaceship control panel for my son and wanted to have a few displays. I have a few questions and would appreciate any advice.

1. Do I need an Arduino unit for each display or could something like the Mega run a couple of displays?

If they are simple displays like 7 segment LEDs, then yes. Otherwise, no.

brittonc2109: 2. Are they capable of running video clips on a loop?

No.

brittonc2109: 3. How easy is it to program based on having no knowledge? I know lots of code can be found on the net but is what I'm trying to achieve realistic?

Thanks in advance.

Impossible. No. Not without some learning. Not unless you can find someone who has published the entire identical thing somewhere.