Multiple flow meters on 1 mcu

I would like to run 4 OR more hall effect flow meters on 1 esp8266/esp32/arduino. how can this be done? they dont have to be really accurate more of just to know something is flowing, but prefer usable readings.

Where are you stuck ?

In my limited experience of Hall sensors they provide a digital output, so reading a number of them is really only limited by the number of spare digital pins you have

im waiting for the sensors to arrive in the mail. the code i see normally uses interrupt to attach to pin and count pulses. im not sure what to expect if i try to use 4 interrupts at the same time.

could i use a less accurate method like ,

if(digitalRead(sensorin,HIGH){
pulse++

and not use interrupt at all?

If i understand correctly. using interrupt would be more accurate because almost everything stops when interrupt is triggered.

What sort of frequency are you expecting to measure ?

Hello,
you have to detect either the 0/1 or 1/0 transition of the input signal an count this event.

The specs of the sensor are,

Specifications:
Frequency: F=21 * Q (L / Min) error: ± 2%, current can not exceed 10mA, 450 output pulses/liters, F=constant * units of flow (L / min) * time (seconds).
Flow range:0.3-10L/min
Working voltage range: DC 5-18 V
Operating Temp: ≤80℃
Operating humidity: 35%-90%RH
Pressure range: water pressure 0.8 MPa below
Storage Temperature: -25-80℃
Storage humidity: 25%-95%RH
Output Waveform: square Wave, output pulse signal.
ROHS Compliant.
Cable length:15cm.
Wiring:Red---VCC(+)
Black---GND
Yellow----Signal

i will probably be measuring about 250ml a second. The purpose of them is mainly to detect a no flow situation. so really... accurate reading are not required.

if im right then frequency would be about 5.25? not sure if hz or khz. but 21 * .25 = 5.25

So i would have to detect the rise and falling of the signal thanks

Why the need to detect both ?

What will the actual range of frequencies be given your expected flow rate ?

im not sure but i can manually measure about 250ml a second at about 170psi and it stay in that range. so between 200/300ml a second.

I dont know what your asking me "Why the need to detect both ?"

the mcu will open a solenoid for a specific duration. if there is no pulses from the flow meter then there must be no flow. amount of flow is not "that" important i mean i wouldnt want to get only 2 pulses from the meter and think everything is okay.

The purpose of the meters is to shutdown a bunch of pumps if there is no water flowing through them

If you are planning on using a ESP32 all the inputs can be read at the same time and events can be coded for by using the ESP32 PCNT API. The PCNT can count pulses and at programmed set points trigger this or that when this or that happens, all without CPU intervention.

[url=https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp-idf/en/latest/esp32/api-reference/peripherals/pcnt.html]ESP32 PCNT API[/url, and in your case the PCNT modules only need to give warning when their are no incoming or low incoming pulses rates.

You say all the inputs but what if i only want to read from 4 inputs. does this mean each pin has its own independent pulse counter? how would this differ from using interrupts.

remember im using arduino ide and arduino core. the hardware pulse counter seem pretty advanced code. i cannot find any examples how to use it with arduino except 1 but it wont compile, jsut says error compiling for esp32

#include "driver/pcnt.h"  // ESP32 library for pulse count
  // e.g. stored in following path C:\Users\User\Documents\Arduino\hardware\arduino-esp32-master\tools\sdk\include\driver\driver\pcnt.h
  // when in the Arduino IDE properties the sketchbook storage location is set to C:\Users\User\Documents\Arduino

#define PCNT_FREQ_UNIT      PCNT_UNIT_0                      // select ESP32 pulse counter unit 0 (out of 0 to 7 indipendent counting units)
                                                               // https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp-idf/en/latest/esp32/api-reference/peripherals/pcnt.html

int SPEED_IR_INPUT_PIN = 15;                                 // Input D15 = signal from IR-diode for pulse counter
  bool _flag = 0;  // only for testing ####################################

int16_t PulseCounter =     0;                                // pulse counter, max. value is 65536
  int OverflowCounter =      0;                                // pulse counter overflow counter
  int PCNT_H_LIM_VAL =       10000;                            // upper limit of counting  max. 32767, write +1 to overflow counter, when reached 
  uint16_t PCNT_FILTER_VAL=  1000;                             // filter (damping, inertia) value for avoiding glitches in the count, max. 1023

// not in use, copy from example code ########################################
  //float frequencia = 0;                                      // Frequencia medida
  //String unidade;                                            // Unidade de medida da escala
  //unsigned long tempo;                                       // base de tempo da medida dos pulsos
  //int prescaler;                                             // frequency devider of timer
  //bool conterOK = false;

pcnt_isr_handle_t user_isr_handle = NULL;                    // interrupt handler - not used
  hw_timer_t * timer = NULL;                                   // Instancia do timer

void IRAM_ATTR CounterOverflow(void *arg) {                  // Interrupt for overflow of pulse counter
    OverflowCounter = OverflowCounter + 1;                     // increase overflow counter
    PCNT.int_clr.val = BIT(PCNT_FREQ_UNIT);                    // clean overflow flag
    pcnt_counter_clear(PCNT_FREQ_UNIT);                        // zero and reset of pulse counter unit
  }

void initPulseCounter (){                                    // initialise pulse counter
    pcnt_config_t pcntFreqConfig = { };                        // Instance of pulse counter
    pcntFreqConfig.pulse_gpio_num = SPEED_IR_INPUT_PIN;        // pin assignment for pulse counter = GPIO 15
    pcntFreqConfig.pos_mode = PCNT_COUNT_INC;                  // count rising edges (=change from low to high logical level) as pulses
    pcntFreqConfig.counter_h_lim = PCNT_H_LIM_VAL;             // set upper limit of counting 
    pcntFreqConfig.unit = PCNT_FREQ_UNIT;                      // select ESP32 pulse counter unit 0
    pcntFreqConfig.channel = PCNT_CHANNEL_0;                   // select channel 0 of pulse counter unit 0
    pcnt_unit_config(&pcntFreqConfig);                         // configur rigisters of the pulse counter

pcnt_counter_pause(PCNT_FREQ_UNIT);                        // pause puls counter unit
    pcnt_counter_clear(PCNT_FREQ_UNIT);                        // zero and reset of pulse counter unit

pcnt_event_enable(PCNT_FREQ_UNIT, PCNT_EVT_H_LIM);         // enable event for interrupt on reaching upper limit of counting
    pcnt_isr_register(CounterOverflow, NULL, 0, &user_isr_handle);  // configure register overflow interrupt handler
    pcnt_intr_enable(PCNT_FREQ_UNIT);                          // enable overflow interrupt

pcnt_set_filter_value(PCNT_FREQ_UNIT, PCNT_FILTER_VAL);    // set damping, inertia 
    pcnt_filter_enable(PCNT_FREQ_UNIT);                        // enable counter glitch filter (damping)

pcnt_counter_resume(PCNT_FREQ_UNIT);                       // resume counting on pulse counter unit
  }

void Read_Reset_PCNT() {                                     // function for reading pulse counter (for timer)
    pcnt_get_counter_value(PCNT_FREQ_UNIT, &PulseCounter);     // get pulse counter value - maximum value is 16 bits
   // resetting counter as if example, delet for application in PiedPiperS
    OverflowCounter = 0;                                       // set overflow counter to zero
    //conterOK = true;                                         // not in use, copy from example code ########################################
  }

void Read_PCNT() {                                           // function for reading pulse counter (for timer)
    pcnt_get_counter_value(PCNT_FREQ_UNIT, &PulseCounter);     // get pulse counter value - maximum value is 16 bits
  }

C:\Users\Laptop\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_cache_420167\core\core_98098d87953fc8ef3eeecd4758160cc2.a(main.cpp.o):(.literal._Z8loopTaskPv+0x4): undefined reference to `setup()'
C:\Users\Laptop\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_cache_420167\core\core_98098d87953fc8ef3eeecd4758160cc2.a(main.cpp.o):(.literal._Z8loopTaskPv+0x8): undefined reference to `loop()'
C:\Users\Laptop\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_cache_420167\core\core_98098d87953fc8ef3eeecd4758160cc2.a(main.cpp.o): In function `loopTask(void*)':
C:\Users\Laptop\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp32\hardware\esp32\1.0.4\cores\esp32/main.cpp:14: undefined reference to `setup()'
C:\Users\Laptop\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp32\hardware\esp32\1.0.4\cores\esp32/main.cpp:17: undefined reference to `loop()'
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status
exit status 1
Error compiling for board ESP32 Dev Module.

I'm still open to other ideas if no one else can figure out how to use the hardware pulse coutner

Just poll four pins. You don't need to detect HIGH or LOW, just that they have changed state. If they fail to change state for a period of time then the flow has stopped

Sorry i should had been more specific.

there is a suction pump before the main pump to pump water to the main pump. There will be a meter between the suction pump and main pump. The mainpump output goes to a pressure tank. the pressure tank output goes to a solenoid that controls the flow of water out of the system. they dont all run at the same time.

when pressure dips below threshold "both" suction pump and main pump turn on. when the pumps are on if there is no flow coming out of the suction pump then turn off pumps by disconnecting 24vac contactor.

Some instances both the "pump flow meter" and the "output flow meter" will be running at the same time if pressure switch kicks in while solenoid is open. but this whole system is x2 so totality of 4 sensors for now.

so as far as polling all 4 pins at once. hopefully you understand how it works now.

I think what your saying makes sense. except i think i would need 4 individual state change detections with a pulse count. i could detect if at least some many pulses have passed then there is flow.

/*
   Chappie Weather
   process wind speed direction and rain fall.
*/
#include <WiFi.h>
#include <PubSubClient.h>
#include "certs.h"
#include "sdkconfig.h"
#include "esp_system.h"
#include "freertos/FreeRTOS.h"
#include "freertos/task.h"
#include "freertos/timers.h"
#include "freertos/event_groups.h"
#include "driver/pcnt.h"
#include <driver/adc.h>
#include <SimpleKalmanFilter.h>
#include <ESP32Time.h>
////
ESP32Time rtc;
WiFiClient wifiClient;
PubSubClient MQTTclient(mqtt_server, mqtt_port, wifiClient);
////
float CalculatedVoltage = 0.0f;
float kph = 0.0f;
float rain  = 0.0f;
/*
   PCNT PCNT_UNIT_0, PCNT_CHANNEL_0 GPIO_NUM_15 = pulse input pin
   PCNT PCNT_UNIT_1, PCNT_CHANNEL_0 GPIO_NUM_4 = pulse input pin
*/
pcnt_unit_t pcnt_unit00 = PCNT_UNIT_0; //pcnt unit 0 channel 0
pcnt_unit_t pcnt_unit10 = PCNT_UNIT_1; //pcnt unit 1 channel 0
//
//
hw_timer_t * timer = NULL;
//
#define evtAnemometer  ( 1 << 0 )
#define evtRainFall    ( 1 << 1 )
#define evtParseMQTT   ( 1 << 2 )
EventGroupHandle_t eg;
#define OneMinuteGroup ( evtAnemometer | evtRainFall )
////
QueueHandle_t xQ_Message; // payload and topic queue of MQTT payload and topic
const int payloadSize = 100;
struct stu_message
{
  char payload [payloadSize] = {'\0'};
  String topic ;
} x_message;
////
SemaphoreHandle_t sema_MQTT_KeepAlive;
SemaphoreHandle_t sema_mqttOK;
SemaphoreHandle_t sema_CalculatedVoltage;
////
int mqttOK = 0; // stores a count value that is used to cause an esp reset
volatile bool TimeSet = false;
////
/*
   A single subject has been scribed to, the mqtt broker sends out "OK" messages if the client receives an OK message the mqttOK value is set back to zero
*/
////
void IRAM_ATTR mqttCallback(char* topic, byte * payload, unsigned int length)
{
  memset( x_message.payload, '\0', payloadSize ); // clear payload char buffer
  x_message.topic = ""; //clear topic string buffer
  x_message.topic = topic; //store new topic
    int i = 0; // extract payload
    for ( i; i < length; i++)
    {
      x_message.payload[i] = ((char)payload[i]);
    }
    x_message.payload[i] = '\0';
    xQueueOverwrite( xQ_Message, (void *) &x_message );// send data to queue
} // void mqttCallback(char* topic, byte* payload, unsigned int length)
////
// interrupt service routine for WiFi events put into IRAM
void IRAM_ATTR WiFiEvent(WiFiEvent_t event)
{
  switch (event) {
    case SYSTEM_EVENT_STA_CONNECTED:
      break;
    case SYSTEM_EVENT_STA_DISCONNECTED:
      log_i("Disconnected from WiFi access point");
      break;
    case SYSTEM_EVENT_AP_STADISCONNECTED:
      log_i("WiFi client disconnected");
      break;
    default: break;
  }
} // void IRAM_ATTR WiFiEvent(WiFiEvent_t event)
////
void IRAM_ATTR onTimer()
{
  BaseType_t xHigherPriorityTaskWoken;
  xEventGroupSetBitsFromISR(eg, OneMinuteGroup, &xHigherPriorityTaskWoken);
} // void IRAM_ATTR onTimer()
////
void setup()
{
  eg = xEventGroupCreate(); // get an event group handle
  adc1_config_width(ADC_WIDTH_12Bit);
  adc1_config_channel_atten(ADC1_CHANNEL_6, ADC_ATTEN_DB_11);// using GPIO 34 current
  adc1_config_channel_atten(ADC1_CHANNEL_3, ADC_ATTEN_DB_11);// using GPIO 39 current
  adc1_config_channel_atten(ADC1_CHANNEL_0, ADC_ATTEN_DB_11);// using GPIO 36 battery volts

// hardware timer 4 set for one minute alarm
  timer = timerBegin( 3, 80, true );
  timerAttachInterrupt( timer, &onTimer, true );
  timerAlarmWrite(timer, 60000000, true);
  timerAlarmEnable(timer);
  /* Initialize PCNT's counter */
  int PCNT_H_LIM_VAL         = 3000;
  int PCNT_L_LIM_VAL         = -10;
  // 1st PCNT counter
  pcnt_config_t pcnt_config  = {};
  pcnt_config.pulse_gpio_num = GPIO_NUM_15;// Set PCNT input signal and control GPIOs
  pcnt_config.ctrl_gpio_num  = PCNT_PIN_NOT_USED;
  pcnt_config.channel        = PCNT_CHANNEL_0;
  pcnt_config.unit           = PCNT_UNIT_0;
  // What to do on the positive / negative edge of pulse input?
  pcnt_config.pos_mode       = PCNT_COUNT_INC;   // Count up on the positive edge
  pcnt_config.neg_mode       = PCNT_COUNT_DIS;   // Count down disable
  // What to do when control input is low or high?
  pcnt_config.lctrl_mode     = PCNT_MODE_KEEP; // do not count if low reverse
  pcnt_config.hctrl_mode     = PCNT_MODE_KEEP;    // Keep the primary counter mode if high
  // Set the maximum and minimum limit values to watch
  pcnt_config.counter_h_lim  = PCNT_H_LIM_VAL;
  pcnt_config.counter_l_lim  = PCNT_L_LIM_VAL;
  pcnt_unit_config(&pcnt_config); // Initialize PCNT unit
  pcnt_set_filter_value( PCNT_UNIT_0, 1); //Configure and enable the input filter
  pcnt_filter_enable( PCNT_UNIT_0 );
  pcnt_counter_pause( PCNT_UNIT_0 );
  pcnt_counter_clear( PCNT_UNIT_0 );
  pcnt_counter_resume( PCNT_UNIT_0); // start the show
  // setup 2nd PCNT
  pcnt_config = {};
  pcnt_config.pulse_gpio_num = GPIO_NUM_4;
  pcnt_config.ctrl_gpio_num  = PCNT_PIN_NOT_USED;
  pcnt_config.channel        = PCNT_CHANNEL_0;
  pcnt_config.unit           = PCNT_UNIT_1;
  pcnt_config.pos_mode       = PCNT_COUNT_INC;
  pcnt_config.neg_mode       = PCNT_COUNT_DIS;
  pcnt_config.lctrl_mode     = PCNT_MODE_KEEP;
  pcnt_config.hctrl_mode     = PCNT_MODE_KEEP;
  pcnt_config.counter_h_lim  = PCNT_H_LIM_VAL;
  pcnt_config.counter_l_lim  = PCNT_L_LIM_VAL;
  pcnt_unit_config(&pcnt_config);
  //pcnt_set_filter_value( PCNT_UNIT_1, 1 );
  //pcnt_filter_enable  ( PCNT_UNIT_1 );
  pcnt_counter_pause  ( PCNT_UNIT_1 );
  pcnt_counter_clear  ( PCNT_UNIT_1 );
  pcnt_counter_resume ( PCNT_UNIT_1 );
  //
  xQ_Message = xQueueCreate( 1, sizeof(stu_message) );
  //
  sema_CalculatedVoltage = xSemaphoreCreateBinary();
  xSemaphoreGive( sema_CalculatedVoltage );
  sema_mqttOK = xSemaphoreCreateBinary();
  xSemaphoreGive( sema_mqttOK );
  sema_MQTT_KeepAlive = xSemaphoreCreateBinary();
  ///
  xTaskCreatePinnedToCore( MQTTkeepalive, "MQTTkeepalive", 15000, NULL, 5, NULL, 1 );
  xTaskCreatePinnedToCore( fparseMQTT, "fparseMQTT", 10000, NULL, 5, NULL, 1 ); // assign all to core 1, WiFi in use.
  xTaskCreatePinnedToCore( fReadBattery, "fReadBattery", 4000, NULL, 3, NULL, 1 );
  xTaskCreatePinnedToCore( fReadCurrent, "fReadCurrent", 4000, NULL, 3, NULL, 1 );
  xTaskCreatePinnedToCore( fWindDirection, "fWindDirection", 10000, NULL, 4, NULL, 1 );
  xTaskCreatePinnedToCore( fAnemometer, "fAnemometer", 10000, NULL, 4, NULL, 1 );
  xTaskCreatePinnedToCore( fRainFall, "fRainFall", 10000, NULL, 4, NULL, 1 );
  xTaskCreatePinnedToCore( fmqttWatchDog, "fmqttWatchDog", 3000, NULL, 3, NULL, 1 ); // assign all to core 1
} //void setup()
////

void fWindDirection( void *pvParameters )
// read the wind direction sensor, return heading in degrees
{
  float adcValue = 0.0f;
  uint64_t TimePastKalman  = esp_timer_get_time();
  SimpleKalmanFilter KF_ADC( 1.0f, 1.0f, .01f );
  float high = 0.0f;
  float low = 2000.0f;
  float ADscale = 3.3f / 4096.0f;
  TickType_t xLastWakeTime = xTaskGetTickCount();
  const TickType_t xFrequency = 100; //delay for mS
  int count = 0;
  String windDirection;
  windDirection.reserve(20);
  String MQTTinfo = "";
  MQTTinfo.reserve( 150 );
  while ( !MQTTclient.connected() )
  {
    vTaskDelay( 250 );
  }
  for (;;)
  {
    windDirection = "";
    adcValue = float( adc1_get_raw(ADC1_CHANNEL_6) ); //take a raw ADC reading
    KF_ADC.setProcessNoise( (esp_timer_get_time() - TimePastKalman) / 1000000.0f ); //get time, in microsecods, since last readings
    adcValue = KF_ADC.updateEstimate( adcValue ); // apply simple Kalman filter
    TimePastKalman = esp_timer_get_time(); // time of update complete
    adcValue = adcValue * ADscale;
    log_i( "                       adc %f", adcValue );
    if ( (adcValue >= 0.0f) & (adcValue <= .25f )  )
    {
      log_i( " n" );
      windDirection.concat( "N" );
    }
    //
//    if ( (adcValue >= .25f) & adcValue <= .5f )
//    {
//      log_i( " nne" );
//      windDirection.concat( "NNE");
//    }
    //
    if ( (adcValue > .25f) & (adcValue <= .6f ) )
    {
      log_i( " e" );
      windDirection.concat( "E" );
    }
//    if ( (adcValue > 1.0f) & (adcValue < 1.75f) )
//    {
//      log_i( " sse" );
//      windDirection.concat( "S-SE");
//    }
//    //
//        if ( (adcValue >= 1.75f) & (adcValue < 2.2f) )
//    {
//      log_i( " nnw" );
//      windDirection.concat( "N-NW" );
//    }
    //
    if ( (adcValue > 2.0f) & ( adcValue < 3.3f) )
    {
      log_i( " s" );
      windDirection.concat( "S");
    }
    //
//    if ( (adcValue > 2.6f) & (adcValue < 3.0f ) )
//    {
//      log_i( " ssw" );
//      windDirection.concat( "S-SW" );
//    }
    if ( (adcValue >= 1.7f) & (adcValue < 2.0f ) )
    {
      log_i( " w" );
      windDirection.concat( "W" );
    }
    if( count >= 30 )
    {
      MQTTinfo.concat( String(kph, 2) );
      MQTTinfo.concat( ",");
      MQTTinfo.concat( windDirection );
      MQTTinfo.concat( ",");
      MQTTinfo.concat( String(rain,2) );
      xSemaphoreTake( sema_MQTT_KeepAlive, portMAX_DELAY );
      MQTTclient.publish( topicWSWDRF, MQTTinfo.c_str() );
      xSemaphoreGive( sema_MQTT_KeepAlive );
      count = 0;
    }
    count++;
    MQTTinfo = "";
    xLastWakeTime = xTaskGetTickCount();
    vTaskDelayUntil( &xLastWakeTime, xFrequency );
  }
  vTaskDelete ( NULL );
}
// read rainfall
void fRainFall( void *pvParemeters )
{
  int16_t count = 0;
  pcnt_counter_pause( PCNT_UNIT_1 );
  pcnt_counter_clear( PCNT_UNIT_1 );
  pcnt_counter_resume( PCNT_UNIT_1 );
  for  (;; )
  {
    xEventGroupWaitBits (eg, evtRainFall, pdTRUE, pdTRUE, portMAX_DELAY);
    pcnt_counter_pause( PCNT_UNIT_1 );
    pcnt_get_counter_value( PCNT_UNIT_1, &count );
    pcnt_counter_clear( PCNT_UNIT_1 );
    pcnt_counter_resume( PCNT_UNIT_1 );
    if ( count != 0 )
    {
      // 0.2794mm of rain per click clear clicks at mid night
      rain = 0.2794f * (float)count;
      //log_i( "count %d, rain rain = %f mm", count, rain );
    }
  }
  vTaskDelete ( NULL );
}
////
void fAnemometer( void *pvParameters )
{
  int16_t count = 0;
  pcnt_counter_clear(PCNT_UNIT_0);
  pcnt_counter_resume(PCNT_UNIT_0);
  for
  (;; )
  {
    xEventGroupWaitBits (eg, evtAnemometer, pdTRUE, pdTRUE, portMAX_DELAY);
    pcnt_counter_pause( PCNT_UNIT_0 );
    pcnt_get_counter_value( PCNT_UNIT_0, &count); //int16_t *count
    // A wind speed of 2.4km/h causes the switch to close once per second
    kph = 2.4 * ((float)count / 60.0f);
    if ( count != 0 )
    {
      //log_i( "count %d, wind Kph = %f", count, kph );
    }
    count = 0;
    pcnt_counter_clear( PCNT_UNIT_0 );
    pcnt_counter_resume( PCNT_UNIT_0 );
  }
  vTaskDelete ( NULL );
}
//////
void fmqttWatchDog( void * paramater )
{
  int UpdateImeTrigger = 86400; //seconds in a day
  int UpdateTimeInterval = 86300; // 1st time update in 100 counts
  int maxNonMQTTresponse = 60;
  for (;;)
  {
    vTaskDelay( 1000 );
    if ( mqttOK >= maxNonMQTTresponse )
    {
      ESP.restart();
    }
    xSemaphoreTake( sema_mqttOK, portMAX_DELAY );
    mqttOK++;
    UpdateTimeInterval++; // trigger new time get
    if ( UpdateTimeInterval >= UpdateImeTrigger )
    {
      TimeSet = false; // sets doneTime to false to get an updated time after a days count of seconds
      UpdateTimeInterval = 0;
    }
  }
  vTaskDelete( NULL );
}
//////
void fparseMQTT( void *pvParameters )
{
  struct stu_message px_message;
  for (;;)
  {
    if ( xQueueReceive(xQ_Message, &px_message, portMAX_DELAY) == pdTRUE )
    {
      // parse the time from the OK message and update MCU time
      if ( String(px_message.topic) == topicOK )
      {
        if ( !TimeSet)
        {
          String temp = "";
          temp =  px_message.payload[0];
          temp += px_message.payload[1];
          temp += px_message.payload[2];
          temp += px_message.payload[3];
          int year =  temp.toInt();
          temp = "";
          temp =  px_message.payload[5];
          temp += px_message.payload[6];
          int month =  temp.toInt();
          temp =  "";
          temp =  px_message.payload[8];
          temp += px_message.payload[9];
          int day =  temp.toInt();
          temp = "";
          temp = px_message.payload[11];
          temp += px_message.payload[12];
          int hour =  temp.toInt();
          temp = "";
          temp = px_message.payload[14];
          temp += px_message.payload[15];
          int min =  temp.toInt();
          rtc.setTime( 0, min, hour, day, month, year );
          log_i( "rtc  %s ", rtc.getTime() );
          TimeSet = true;
        }
      }
    }
    xSemaphoreTake( sema_mqttOK, portMAX_DELAY );
    mqttOK = 0;
  }
} // void fparseMQTT( void *pvParameters )
//////
void fReadCurrent( void * parameter )
{
  float ADbits = 4096.0f;
  float ref_voltage = 3.3f;
  float offSET = .25f;
  uint64_t TimePastKalman  = esp_timer_get_time(); // used by the Kalman filter UpdateProcessNoise, time since last kalman calculation
  SimpleKalmanFilter KF_I( 1.0f, 1.0f, .01f );
  float mA = 0.0f;
  int   printCount = 0;
  const float mVperAmp = 100.0f;
  float adcValue = 0;
  float Voltage = 0;
  float Power = 0.0;
  String powerInfo = "";
  powerInfo.reserve( 150 );
  {
    vTaskDelay( 250 );
  }
  const TickType_t xFrequency = 1000; //delay for mS
  for (;;)
  {
    adc1_get_raw(ADC1_CHANNEL_3); // read once discard reading
    adcValue = ( (float)adc1_get_raw(ADC1_CHANNEL_3) );
    Voltage = ( (adcValue * ref_voltage) / ADbits ) + offSET; // Gets you mV
    mA = Voltage / mVperAmp; // get amps
    KF_I.setProcessNoise( (esp_timer_get_time() - TimePastKalman) / 1000000.0f ); //get time, in microsecods, since last readings
    mA = KF_I.updateEstimate( mA ); // apply simple Kalman filter
    printCount++;
    if ( printCount == 60 )
    {
      xSemaphoreTake( sema_CalculatedVoltage, portMAX_DELAY);
      Power = CalculatedVoltage * mA;
      //log_i( "Voltage=%f mA=%f Power=%f", CalculatedVoltage, mA, Power );
      printCount = 0;
      powerInfo.concat( String(CalculatedVoltage, 2) );
      powerInfo.concat( ",");
      powerInfo.concat( String(mA, 2) );
      powerInfo.concat( ",");
      powerInfo.concat( String(Power, 4) );
      xSemaphoreTake( sema_MQTT_KeepAlive, portMAX_DELAY );
      MQTTclient.publish( topicPower, powerInfo.c_str() );
      powerInfo = "";
    }
  }
  vTaskDelete( NULL );
} //void fReadCurrent( void * parameter )
////
void fReadBattery( void * parameter )
{
  //float ADbits = 4096.0f;
  //float ref_voltage = 3.3f;
  float ADscale = 3.3f / 4096.0f;
  float adcValue = 0.0f;
  float offSET = 0.0f;
  const float r1 = 55000.0f; // R1 in ohm, 50K
  const float r2 = 10000.0f; // R2 in ohm, 10k potentiometer
  //float Vscale = (r1+r2)/r2;
  float Vbatt = 0.0f;
  int printCount = 0;
  float vRefScale = (3.3f / 4096.0f) * ((r1 + r2) / r2);
  uint64_t TimePastKalman  = esp_timer_get_time(); // used by the Kalman filter UpdateProcessNoise, time since last kalman calculation
  SimpleKalmanFilter KF_ADC_b( 1.0f, 1.0f, .01f );
  const TickType_t xFrequency = 1000; //delay for mS
  for (;;)
  {
    adc1_get_raw(ADC1_CHANNEL_0); //read and discard
    adcValue = float( adc1_get_raw(ADC1_CHANNEL_0) ); //take a raw ADC reading
    KF_ADC_b.setProcessNoise( (esp_timer_get_time() - TimePastKalman) / 1000000.0f ); //get time, in microsecods, since last readings
    adcValue = KF_ADC_b.updateEstimate( adcValue ); // apply simple Kalman filter
    Vbatt = adcValue * vRefScale;
    xSemaphoreTake( sema_CalculatedVoltage, portMAX_DELAY );
    CalculatedVoltage = Vbatt;
    //    printCount++;
    //    if ( printCount == 3 )
    //    {
    //    log_i( "Vbatt %f", Vbatt );
    //    printCount = 0;
    //    }
    //log_i( "fReadBattery %d",  uxTaskGetStackHighWaterMark( NULL ) );
  }
  vTaskDelete( NULL );
}
////
void MQTTkeepalive( void *pvParameters )
{
  sema_MQTT_KeepAlive   = xSemaphoreCreateBinary();
  xSemaphoreGive( sema_MQTT_KeepAlive ); // found keep alive can mess with a publish, stop keep alive during publish
  // setting must be set before a mqtt connection is made
  MQTTclient.setKeepAlive( 90 ); // setting keep alive to 90 seconds makes for a very reliable connection, must be set before the 1st connection is made.
  for (;;)
  {
    //check for a is-connected and if the WiFi 'thinks' its connected, found checking on both is more realible than just a single check
    if ( (wifiClient.connected()) && (WiFi.status() == WL_CONNECTED) )
    {
      xSemaphoreTake( sema_MQTT_KeepAlive, portMAX_DELAY ); // whiles MQTTlient.loop() is running no other mqtt operations should be in process
      MQTTclient.loop();
    }
    else {
      log_i( "MQTT keep alive found MQTT status %s WiFi status %s", String(wifiClient.connected()), String(WiFi.status()) );
      if ( !(wifiClient.connected()) || !(WiFi.status() == WL_CONNECTED) )
      {
        connectToWiFi();
      }
      connectToMQTT();
    }
    vTaskDelay( 250 ); //task runs approx every 250 mS
  }
  vTaskDelete ( NULL );
}
////
void connectToWiFi()
{
  int TryCount = 0;
  //log_i( "connect to wifi" );
  while ( WiFi.status() != WL_CONNECTED )
  {
    TryCount++;
    WiFi.disconnect();
    WiFi.begin( SSID, PASSWORD );
    vTaskDelay( 4000 );
    if ( TryCount == 10 )
    {
      ESP.restart();
    }
  }
  WiFi.onEvent( WiFiEvent );
} // void connectToWiFi()
////
void connectToMQTT()
{
  MQTTclient.setKeepAlive( 90 ); // needs be made before connecting
  byte mac[5];
  WiFi.macAddress(mac);
  String clientID = String(mac[0]) + String(mac[4]) ; // use mac address to create clientID
  {
    // boolean connect(const char* id, const char* user, const char* pass, const char* willTopic, uint8_t willQos, boolean willRetain, const char* willMessage);
    MQTTclient.connect( clientID.c_str(), mqtt_username, mqtt_password, NULL , 1, true, NULL );
    vTaskDelay( 250 );
  }
  MQTTclient.setCallback( mqttCallback );
  MQTTclient.subscribe( topicOK );
} // void connectToMQTT()
////
void loop() {}

ESP23 code using the PCNT under the Arduino IDE.

Here is the link to the documentation.

Holly code. thats just too much for me to understand. it needs to be stripped down to bare bones. I think im probably just going to use state change detection. but you still didnt explain how that is going to be any better than interrupt.

Research.

If you cant minimize it i understand. it is pretty complex code. probably just going to use state change detection.