Multiple IDE installation hell

Moderator: Please rename and move this thread to somewhere relevant.

For new thread on the original topic of this thread "Mighty-1284p repo updated for IDE 1.6.x", see:

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=321805.0

Please post any questions about the original topic there, and not in this thread.

Original post below restored at request of Coding Badly:

Just added a new v1.6.3 branch to the JChristensen github repo for the mighty-1284p:

https://github.com/JChristensen/mighty-1284p/tree/v1.6.3

There are three branches for this repo now, each with a different target set of IDE versions.

• The original v1.0.5 branch is for IDE 1.0.1 - 1.0.5.
  • The v1.0.6 branch is for 1.0.6 only.
  • The latest v.1.6.3 branch should work with 1.6.0-1.6.4 (tested only briefly on 1.6.4, but seems to be fine so far.)

Make sure you are on the correct branch when downloading the zip file.

The installation instructions are slightly different for 1.6.x (simpler, actually) so do read the installation steps.

The patched libs have been updated for 1.6.x. Thanks to Per (pert) for updating these!

Also thanks to Bill (bperrybap) for help with new the set-up for the 1.6.x files.

Any suggestions, questions, or problems, drop a note in this thread.

Does that address this?

"And the most important feature: you can add additional, non official, boards to the Boards Manager by just adding a url in the preferences. Click on File menu, then click Preferences. At the bottom of the page, you’ll find this new text field:

additional_boards_url_field

Fill the text field with the urls provided by your board manufacturer, separating each with a comma. Here you can find some example URLs."

I looked at the link for the Sanguino stuff (644 still?) and couldn't follow what it was supposed to be doing.

CrossRoads: "And the most important feature: you can add additional, non official, boards to the Boards Manager by just adding a url in the preferences. Click on File menu, then click Preferences. At the bottom of the page, you’ll find this new text field:

additional_boards_url_field

Fill the text field with the urls provided by your board manufacturer, separating each with a comma. Here you can find some example URLs."

No. Where are you quoting that from?

TTYTT, I'm kinda underwhelmed by "board manager" so far. I tried it once to install the ARM tools for Due in 1.6.3, and it failed miserably. I ended up just copying the tools over from an earlier IDE installation, and that worked. Given the straightforward manual installation of the the mighty-1284p repo, I can't see trying to get it to work "board manager" being a high priority.

pico: No, Where are you quoting that from?

Developers List / Federico Fissore.

These are the manual installation steps on the github page from the link above:

Steps which are reduced / simplified by using the Board Manager.

My guess is that third-party packages will eventually be included with the IDE. At that point, the user will be able to install a package with about five mouse clicks.

In any case, it would be helpful to create releases so your audience can easily find what they want... https://github.com/JChristensen/mighty-1284p/releases

If you do that I will make an attempt at creating a package*.json file for Mighty 1284P.

[quote author=Coding Badly date=1431074854 link=msg=2222898] My guess is that third-party packages will eventually be included with the IDE. [/quote]

That would be a departure.

[quote author=Coding Badly date=1431074854 link=msg=2222898] In any case, it would be helpful to create releases so your audience can easily find what they want... [/quote]

Is there an advantage to the releases page over just hitting the "download zip file" button on the relevant repo branch page?

[quote author=Coding Badly date=1431074854 link=msg=2222898] If you do that I will make an attempt at creating a package*.json file for Mighty 1284P. [/quote]

Please don't worry about it. The "board manager" appears to have more downside than upside at the moment; maybe we will revisit and reassess at a later date. For now, following the instructions on https://github.com/JChristensen/mighty-1284p/tree/v1.6.3 are pretty foolproof.

I'm still using IDE v1.0.5, as when I tried to install v1.0.6 and v1.5.x previously, they both were forcing me to "uninstall" all previous IDE versions, whereas this was not necessary previously.

IOW, I need to throw away all the "fixes" I had performed on various IDE libraries to get them to work with the 1284.

Does the new v1.6.x also require removing everything prior? To me, this is like jumping into a black hole without a safety line. I guess it's nice at least that the newer IDEs are finally starting to include 1284 support.

The Zip installs can coexist with older version of Arduino. Just be sure to fix file associations, and be aware that they'll both look in the same hardware folder, but cores are not compatible between two versions.

That's what I've been doing to try to deal with the recent version hell.

I've just been using 1.0.6, don't have time to deal with all the frequent updates, too much else going on.

pico:
Is there an advantage to the releases page over just hitting the “download zip file” button on the relevant repo branch page?

If I navigate to the repository and click Download ZIP what do I actually download? The version for 1.0? The version for 1.6? The active development branch? An installation wrapped in a ZIP file? A Git front-end? The entire repository? One branch? The button is close to Clone in Desktop. Maybe it is an alternative way to clone a repository?

There are several problems with the main repository page that make it difficult for someone who does not understand Git: the branch selector and download button are physically separated (there is no way to know the two have a relationship), the branch selector is unlabeled and lacks any hint (there is no way to know what happens when it is changed), the download button does not indicate what is actually going to be downloaded.

The first time I saw that page I struggled and I had used Git for a few years. Someone who does not understand Git is going to be in tears.

oric_dan: I'm still using IDE v1.0.5, as when I tried to install v1.0.6 and v1.5.x previously, they both were forcing me to "uninstall" all previous IDE versions, whereas this was not necessary previously.

That's odd. I can't remember that ever happening to me. What operating system?

[quote author=Coding Badly date=1431109296 link=msg=2223633] That's odd. I can't remember that ever happening to me. What operating system? [/quote]

As I recall, that was a year and a half or so ago, when the v1.5.x stuff was getting popular. I was still using my two 6-8 YO WinXP machines. They have since both died, and I now have Win7 and Win8.1 laptops.

However, I spent so much time in the past 2 years fixing libraries and such to work with the mega1284 - remember those 35- and 47-page threads - that I haven't wanted to mess with all the patches, and/or start all over again. Especially now that the IDEs have turned into IDE-hell like everyone has noted.

And, now it does happen. That’s annoying.

ArduinoIdeUpgrade.png

I’m not sure what that popup window is saying. If I have a current install [IE, the one with all my dozen or so patches for the 1284] in directory

.\Arduino-IDE\arduino-1.0.5

does than mean I can leave the current install in there, or must remove it?

My understanding is remove it.

However, you should be able to "install" from the ZIP file. I'm about to do that with 1.6.1. I'll let you know how that goes.

If you install with the installer, you have to remove the old Arduino version.

If you use the zip file, you do not. Note that this doesn't update file associations/etc - you have to do that manually if you install from zip.

DrAzzy: If you install with the installer, you have to remove the old Arduino version.

If you use the zip file, you do not. Note that this doesn't update file associations/etc - you have to do that manually if you install from zip.

Thanks, I realize that's the second time you said this. However, I don't understand what "doesn't update file associations" means. Which files? Much of this arcane tools-stuff leaves me in its wake.

BTW, what I currently have with v1.0.5 is (2) installs, one for the regular Rduino, and one for the Teensy 3.1 via installing Teensyduino.

Unfortunately, as I discovered only "after" installing it, Teensyduino is a dogawful mess. It went in and overwrote every single damn library in the IDE \library directory, along with installing many of its own, and made all sorts of other changes in \hardware, and it ate all of my 1284 library patches in the process. And then it added a pile of its own library bugs to boot.

Luckily, I had a save of the patches, so have now ended up with (2) v1.0.5 installs, a standard one for regular 328/1284/etc chips, and the other used just for Teensy. And both IDE installs live happily side-by-side, and also use the same sketches folder. So, the world is complicated.

oric_dan: However, I don't understand what "doesn't update file associations" means. Which files?

When you double-click a dot-ino file in Explorer the Arduino IDE should automatically run then load that file. That "file association" is usually created by an installation program.

If you do not double-click dot-ino files in Explorer you will never notice a difference.

And both IDE installs live happily side-by-side, and also use the same sketches folder. So, the world is complicated.

My computer often ends up that way.

Thanks guys. This thread since post #5 might as well be called "multiple IDE hell" or similar.

So two things:

1) If you want to have multiple IDEs running, install them using the zip file, and install each in their own directory tree, and set up your [MySketches] directory independently and set each IDE to use the [MySketches] in preferences. That's what I do, and it works brilliantly.

2) Could a moderator please take all the posts from #5 onward and move them to a new thread called "multiple IDE hell" (probably not in the microcontrollers sub forum), and leave this thread to (at least mostly) discuss the mighty-1284p repo update for IDE 1.6.x?

Cheers.

Actually pico, you'll notice that, even though the topic got onto problems with various IDE versions, it was still directed towards how in the heck does mega1284 support factor into this hell. And you'll notice I did try to update the IDE, but ran into all sorts of problems, and finally decided "screw it".

And I especially didn't like it that all of the library fixes to support mega1284 that I had spent 2 years debugging and patching got eaten.

For my part, I haven't see any "compelling" reason to even want to switch to IDE v1.6.x, as all I see there is one big friggin mess, and even worse, the big friggin mess is changing almost daily. Maybe it would help if someone really explained ... what's the point in chasing after this?

BTW - you will notice on that 150+ page STM32 thread, they voiced the same issue. Rduino IDE has been running berserk, and they got frustrated chasing it.

This is what we've had in the last year or two: 1.0.6, 1.5.1, 1.5.2, 1.5.3, 1.5.4, 1.5.5, 1.5.6-r2, 1.5.7, 1.5.8, 1.6.0, 1.6.1, 1.6.2, 1.6.3, and now 1.6.4. Jesus guys, get your crap together already. And now we have Arduino-Centrale breaking in two, and going in opposite directions. Sorry to be so blunt, but screw this mess. Maybe better to wait for some IDE sanity, and just use what's been working fine for the past 2 years.

I appreciate the work you and Jack have done, pico, but what's going here is plain crazy.

I appreciate your general frustrations Dan, but it really doesn't help to further this small part of the overall system. The mighty-1284p repo now has three different versions that are IDE specific: v1.0.5, for IDE versions 1.0.1-10.5, v1.0.6 for IDE version 1.0.6 only, and v1.6.3, for IDE versions 1.6.x (and possibly some of the 1.5.x beta versions, but not fully tested.)

The message from this small part of Arduino-land is that if you want to run one of the boards that the mighty-1284p repo supports, then you can download the version that suits your version of the IDE, follow the installation instructions, and it will (or should) work.

If people are having problems from having conflicted installations of various version of the IDE installed, or philosophical problems with the management of the Arduino project in general, well, OK, they may be valid issues to bring up and discuss where appropriate, but that's beyond the scope of the simple message and discussion here.

Finally, by providing support for 1.6.x, I am not personally endorsing it, or anything else for that matter. The older versions are still available for anyone who prefers to use the older versions of the IDE. It is merely recognition that the present "default" release is now 1.6.4, and anyone who chooses to use that version can now use a revised version of mighty-1284p that is compatible with that system.