multiple IR receivers okay?

Hi, I'm new to this so please consider that.

Project: IR control of a servo switching a magnetic switch (physically).

I've built a IR receiver that controls a Servo at a Magnetic switch (Switching a 15HP Dust collector).

works great, I have one ATMega328p stand alone chip on a PC board I printed up, consisting of the IR receiver, and the basic parts for the ATMega328p.

I then mounted it in the middle of my "cabinet shop" so my guys would not have to walk the 40 or 50 feet necessary to turn on the dust collector. I placed two remote IR controllers at the machines which required the dust collector. these are near the IR Receiver and only needs a few steps to control the dust collector.

I find now, I'd like to add a third location with a remote, only it's too far from the receiver to work.
is it "okay" to add another ATMega328 and receiver at that location and "tap into" the signal line that goes by overhead to the servo?
basically, a second Arduino on the same signal line to the servo. Will I have issues with that working?
should I connect a diode on the signal line so the signal "heads" towards the servo, and not into the other Arduino?

thanks much
Guy

You cannot connect two outputs together and expect it to work. Servos get a continuous train of pulses, you can't really use any sneaky tricks with diodes to help here, the input signals all need to go to the main Arduino
that controls the servo.

BTW signal lines carrying logic signals are not meant to travel long distances, they are very sensitive to interference.

Normally for long distance comms you'd use something like a low baud-rate serial connection, or wireless, or RS485 (for higher speeds). In an industrial environment its important to use opto-isolation on long lines due to the high power transients from large machinery. Opto-isolated serial at 9600 baud
for instance.

Thank you for the reply, I'll try to figure something out with the ir receiver at the new machine, instead of a new Arduino that shares signal line.

Could that work? A separate ir receiver with a separate input at the original Arduino connected with a wire from the new location?

The run of wire I have right now for the signal line to the servo is fifty feet.

It works very well at that length right now.

Thanks

An IR remote with a narrow-beam IR LED can reach 50 meters.

If you want your receiver to 'look' in two different directions, 3-pin IR receivers can be used in parallel.

I would have thought a non-directional wireless system, like the NRF24L01, would have been a better option in a dusty environment.
Leo..

Thanks for the idea, I might put another receiver in parallel.

Also thinking of just using push button s. Along side the ir as an input. Just not sure how to write the code yet

I’m going to have a mock up at my house first to make sure it works.

I’m new at this so the ir remote seemed easiest to me at the time.

So far dust hasn’t been a problem.

Thanks again