Multiple Issues I can not solve.

Hello, I am having issues with my Mark 1.2 Mega 2560 board. I am trying to flash firmware. My friend referred me to use 1.6.6 and the results:

Arduino: 1.6.6 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

avr-g++: error: missing filename after '-o'

exit status 1
Error compiling.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
enabled in File > Preferences.

when using 1.6.9 I got a Timeout communicating with programmer. Can someone help please? Thanks!

Please help. I wanna 3D print again and none of my friends who use it can solve this issue.

TheNoobster1234321:
Arduino: 1.6.6 (Windows 7), Board: “Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)”

avr-g++: error: missing filename after ‘-o’

The error is caused by using Arduino AVR Boards 1.6.10 or higher with Arduino IDE 1.6.6, they are incompatible. The solution is to either:

• Upgrade to Arduino IDE 1.6.7 or greater
  • Install Arduino AVR Boards 1.6.9 using Boards Manager(Tools > Board > Boards Manager… > Arduino AVR Boards(click on it) > Select version > 1.6.9 > Install) - I’ve had problems reinstalling the previous Arduino AVR Boards version with Boards Manager so you may have to reinstall the Arduino IDE if you can’t compile after going back to Arduino AVR Boards 1.6.9.

TheNoobster1234321:
when using 1.6.9 I got a Timeout communicating with programmer. Can someone help please?

Please do this:

• File > Preferences > Show verbose output during: > upload(check)
  • Try flashing the firmware again.
  • After it fails you will see a button on the right side of the orange bar “Copy error message”. Click that button.
  • Paste the error in a forum message on this thread using code tags(</> button on the toolbar).

I am using version 1.6.8 but a new issue came up.

Please don’t post text as a screen shot. After you encounter an error you will see a button on the right side of the orange bar “Copy error message”. Click that button, then paste to a forum message using code tags(</> button on the toolbar).

Please post a link to where you downloaded Marlin, we need to know the exact version because the issue may be specific to the one you’re using.

I got the firmware from the FB group I am in for my printer. I can send the files. Sorry I couldn’t post a link. I am trying the firmware again newly downloaded. My results:

Arduino: 1.6.8 (Windows 7), Board: “Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)”

sketch\Marlin_main.cpp:2658:36: warning: invalid suffix on literal; C++11 requires a space between literal and string macro [-Wliteral-suffix]

LCD_MESSAGEPGM(MACHINE_NAME" “MSG_OFF”.");

^

In file included from sketch\SdFile.h:27:0,

from sketch\cardreader.h:8,

from sketch\Marlin_main.cpp:44:

SdBaseFile.h:38: error: using typedef-name ‘fpos_t’ after ‘struct’

struct fpos_t {

^

In file included from sketch\Marlin.h:10:0,

from sketch\Marlin_main.cpp:30:

c:\users(name here)\appdata\local\arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avr-gcc\4.9.2-atmel3.5.3-arduino2\avr\include\stdio.h:950:33: note: ‘fpos_t’ has a previous declaration here

extension typedef long long fpos_t;

^

exit status 1
using typedef-name ‘fpos_t’ after ‘struct’

This report would have more information with
“Show verbose output during compilation”
option enabled in File → Preferences.

tarantula-marlin.community-v.0.1b.zip (513 KB)

You didn't use the code tags like I requested. This is an important thing because it makes sure that any code, error, warning, or other console output you post is correctly formatted, easy to read and copy to the IDE or editor. This is one of the forum rules, please be respectful and follow them.

Here's how to solve your issue:

• Tools > Board > Boards Manager... > Arduino AVR Boards(click on it) > select 1.6.11 from the "Select version" menu > Install
  • After installation completes click the "Close" button

The problem is caused by the new compiler version included with Arduino AVR Boards 1.6.12 and later, it is more picky about the bad code that someone wrote. You will need to avoid upgrading to any Arduino AVR Boards version above 1.6.11 until someone fixes the problem in the Marlin code(which may already have been done in the real Marlin).

Please post this information to that Facebook group so others don't encounter the same problem.

avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer

Here is the error message. Thank you as well for helping me. I greatly appreciate it.

That's progress! Marlin is compiling without any errors and you're now encountering a very common error message during the firmware upload process. If you read through the many forum posts on this subject I'm sure you'll find an answer: "timeout communicating with programmer" site:http://forum.arduino.cc - Google Search

I already searched through those and couldn't really get an answer which is why I made the post.

Forget the last reply I made. I looked at the first one which was the loop test post. I couldn’t do all it said but I am able to do the serial monitor test and when I press enter I get a blue light at the board so I assume there are no PC, arduino, or cable issues correct?

I am also using the FTDI Drivers for the board. I do not think those are drivers I am suppose to use but my friend said that is the drivers I need to use. Should I use another driver?

Every Mega I've seen, including the cheap clones, use an ATmega16U2 or similar and thus the FTDI drivers are not what you need. It really depends on what USB to serial chip is on your board. If you see a new entry show up in the Tools > Port menu after you plug in your board then you already have a good driver installed.