multiple led panels and arduino

greetings.

someone gave me this concept for a job.

he wants 'posters' on doors in his 'office', he wants to control this posters with his pc.

i thought for a bit and got this project in my mind.

i want to have one arduino mega (master) conected to the pc, this arduino mega will be connected to multiple arduinos (slaves) ,what model is up to debate

these arduinos will be connected to addressable led panels, these panels will have static text or simple images (for now)

the longest distance between arduino master and arduino slave should be less than 100 meters

the amount of addressable leds would be either less than 1000 (slaves would be mega) or less than 500 (nano)

the amount of arduinos 'slaves' is more than 20

is this feasable? is there an easier way? i was thinking instead of an arduino master, each slave would have a wifi module, but he would like this as a feature and not as the main concept...

i hope you guys understand my post.

thanks for your time.

You can make an 8x8x8 RGB cube with an Uno, 64x3 led drivers on SPI bus and a load of resistors, wires and solder connections and animate patterns as a number of Youtube videos show.

You can use addressable RGB led strips with 30 or 60 leds per meter. Samsung makes led curtain displays 8'x20' that show TV.

You don't want to think of the cost or time to roll your own. It'd be a labor of love, not a money saving venture.

I think you're nuts!... :D

I assume you are going to have PC boards made? I made a project with 48 addressable LEDs (serially addressed). It was hand-wired and it "took forever" just to solder the connections. (The physical construction made the soldering a bit more difficult than usual).

There are various ways of addressing LEDs and a matrix doesn't necessarily have to be wired as a matrix. That's the 1st thing I'd research... Decide how you want to wire/drive and address the LEDs.

the amount of addressable leds would be either less than 1000 (slaves would be mega) or less than 500 (nano)

What's your choice of Arduino based on?

I was thinking instead of an arduino master, each slave would have a wifi module, but he would like this as a feature and not as the main concept...

You're going to need some kind of connection/interface and Wi-Fi seems like the best option.

he wants 'posters' on doors in his 'office', he wants to control this posters with his pc...

...is there an easier way?

Maybe Raspberry Pi's with video monitors... Easier, cheaper, and a better display.

DVDdoug: I think you're nuts!... :D

I assume you are going to have PC boards made? I made a project with 48 addressable LEDs (serially addressed). It was hand-wired and it "took forever" just to solder the connections. (The physical construction made the soldering a bit more difficult than usual).

not at all, i thought led panels with ws2812b, would need just 2 wires from the arduino (slave) for control). whule the arduino master would be conected with an usb to the pc.

DVDdoug: There are various ways of addressing LEDs and a matrix doesn't necessarily have to be wired as a matrix. That's the 1st thing I'd research... Decide how you want to wire/drive and address the LEDs.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13304 that was in my mind

DVDdoug: What's your choice of Arduino based on?

sram. more than 500 addressable leds would force me to use arduino mega.

DVDdoug: You're going to need some kind of connection/interface and Wi-Fi seems like the best option.

i honestly thought that a direct wire was enough, looking into it it seems that i am force to use i2c modules between master and slaves. am i right? the 100m distance and over 20 panels would be an issue?

DVDdoug: Maybe Raspberry Pi's with video monitors... Easier, cheaper, and a better display.

why not the arduino mega directly conected to the pc? the master will just receive either the img or text, select with arduino master to send the info and the slave will upload the info to thr panel. is it waaaaaaaay harder than it sounds?

i went and did some research, and there are no ws2812b panels available in my country.

i see this available https://m.es.aliexpress.com/item/32754106998.html?pid=808_0000_0131&spm=a2g0n.search-amp.list.32754106998&aff_trace_key=&aff_platform=msite&m_page_id=4165Wb1UX2u644qn1muNxO65zlVo6eiwceCA7slbeqNN32dbuYddCzRDIduQ0pGLL7_v1543267754050

which pretty much increase the difficulty of the project (and i am still not sure how hard it was before this... inconvenience...)

The Samsung curtain is made of led strips.

There are also 8x8 led blocks that can tile.

ATmega1284P has 16KB RAM and Mega2560 can use external RAM, Rugged Circuits makes an 8-bank card with 56KB usable banks.

The Teensy 3.6 has 256KB RAM, built-in SD and overclocks to 240MHz…

And an Uno with SD is enough to feed SPI bus all day with cycles left over.

Yoo could likely put flat panels up for less.