Multiple problems in programming the chip

Hi guys,

I bought my first arduino (pro mini 5V) some weeks ago and finally got the time to try some things out. The first problem i have is this apparently very common “avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00” error message. My arduino is connected via a ftdi breakout+usb cable to my laptop. Model and Serial Port are correct. I am not sure if my drivers are installed correctly. How could i prove this?
The second problem appeared a week later when i plugged everything in and only the red light lit up on the chip. Before that it was the green light. What does this mean?
If you need more information to help me just tell me what you need.

Sincerely Samy

Okay the red light seems to be normal when the chip is plugged in to the computer. If i run the upload while holding shift i get the following error message: "avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb"". Is this an indicator for wrong installed drivers? I also tried pressing the reset button at different timings when uploading basic sketches but nothing did work. I would really appreciate help here.

Thanks Samy

I just had the same problem but I had the connections wrong. It works now. Make sure you have the TXO connected to RXI and RXI connected to TXO. I don't have to use the reset button on the Arduino. This is a great tutorial, it's how I got my drivers figured out. Overview | FTDI Friend | Adafruit Learning System