Multiple servos do not work with external power source

Hello,

I have tried everything to make 4 servos work with an external power source. I tried looking at multiple schematic drawings but none of them work. And if they sometimes do, they just jitter around, or move randomly or just don’t stop.

The schematic drawing is attached below…

What i’m using currently:

• 4 AA Batteries (new)[Energizer, non rechargable]
  • ES08 MDII Servos x4

What I have tried using:

• 9V Battries instead of 4 AA Batteries
  • Tried increasing amount of AA batteries to 6 and 8

What can I do to make it work? People online have the same circuit as me but mine doesn’t work. Is it because my Servos are another brand? They have the same voltage requirement (4.8v~6v)

EDIT: I am using the normal sweep servo example but made them 4 instead of the 1 in the example.

What happens if you disconnect all but one servo and run the sweep example?

9V Battries instead of 4 AA Batteries
Tried increasing amount of AA batteries to 6 and 8

That may have damaged one or more of the servos if they are normal hobby servos (supply voltage 6V).

Are you really using a breadboard? Some breadboards have the power rails split and need jumpers to make the rails continuous, as shown in the accompanying image.

Given that those servos are specified for 4.8-6V then applying 9V or 12V to them is not likely to have done them any good.

Also breadboards are not intended to carry the sort of high currents that servos and motors typically need so more direct connections would have a better chance of working.

Steve

groundFungus:
What happens if you disconnect all but one servo and run the sweep example?

That may have damaged one or more of the servos if they are normal hobby servos (supply voltage 6V).

I feared that they were damaged but I tested them all one by one directly to the arduino and they work just fine. And if I disconnect all but one nothing happens still.

groundFungus:
Are you really using a breadboard? Some breadboards have the power rails split and need jumpers to make the rails continuous, as shown in the accompanying image.

I tried putting all the connectors close. Still nothing.

Did you check that there is supply voltage to each of the servos with your DMM (Digital Multi Meter) while running the sweep example?

How about posting a photo of your actual wiring?

How to post images.

4xAA batteries cannot supply enough current for four servos of any type.

The ES08 MDII servos have a stall current of 2.4 Amperes, so you need a power supply capable of 10 Amperes minimum at 5 to 6V.

Also, solder the power connections to the servos. Breadboard tracks burn up at those current levels.

slipstick:
Given that those servos are specified for 4.8-6V then applying 9V or 12V to them is not likely to have done them any good.

Also breadboards are not intended to carry the sort of high currents that servos and motors typically need so more direct connections would have a better chance of working.

Steve

Can you please explain to me how can I connect them directly? Do i connect them all directly to the power source? Or multiple power sources? (sorry i'm bad at this)

One of many on line tutorials on soldering

A servo power distribution board with screw or pin terminals would also be an option. But you MUST use an adequate power supply.

Multi servo wiring.

servo power.jpg

servo power.jpg

You can use servo power distributors like the photo attached to attach multiple batteries (9v)