Multiple SPI Oled Displays

Hey guys,
I'd like to be able to run 24 x 0.96" 128x64 Oled displays from a singe Mcu. I2C displays generally only come with 1 or 2 addresses so are unsuitable.

As long as the displays have a CS pin, there should be no reason why I can't initialise 24 displays with different CS pins. The only problems I can forsee are memory and maybe speed(how long it will take to update all displays) .

What do you guys think?

SamIAm93:
I2C displays generally only come with 1 or 2 addresses so are unsuitable.

Wrong assumption.
You can connect as many I2C devices with two addresses to one master as you want.
If... you set only one of the devices to the address you're going to talk to.
Using an address select pin is basically the same as using the CS pin of SPI.

SPI should be faster than I2C.
Wire length could be the bottleneck.
Leo..

The addresses are usually set by soldering a jumper on the board, though.

Wire length is likely to be 24" maximum, is that likely to cause issues?

SamIAm93:
The addresses are usually set by soldering a jumper on the board, though.

Wire length is likely to be 24" maximum, is that likely to cause issues?

What stops you from soldering a wire to that jumper.

Never driven 24 oleds. 24*24" could mean 576" of wire.
That (fanout and total wire capacitance) could be problematic for 8MHz SPI. Don't know.

Maybe also wise to post what you are planning to display, and where the data is coming from.
Leo..

The 24 displays will be used as labels for 24 buttons.
For example, the first button will have a “1” displayed on the oled. When a 4-position rotary switch is moved from the first to second position, the first display would change to “25”.

The buttons and displays will be mounted on a panel about 18"x12". The SPI pins will be chained together, except the CS pins.

Sam,

I'm working on something similar (ironically, my control panel is the exact same size you specify). I currently have my panel prototyped using 10x TM1633 4 digit LED chips but ordered a couple oled chips to test with. How is your project coming along? I'd love to see a picture of how you mounted the displays and what you ended up going with.

Best,

Andy

After 3 months your best bet is a PM not zombie'ing a thread.

Hello, I have a similar projet. Using adafruit SSD1332 library, it seems I need to address individual CS and Reset. Common reset doesnt work unfortunately. Have you thé same problem ?