Multiple steppenmotors driver controller

Is there an steppermotor variant of this servo controller ?

Using like 8 motors on 1 pin ?

No. Servos have their own motor driver built in, stepper motors have nothing built in. That
board just routes signals, its not a motor driver/controller.

MarkT:
No. Servos have their own motor driver built in, stepper motors have nothing built in. That
board just routes signals, its not a motor driver/controller.

so the max of steppermotors in an arduino board is 16 i guess

Arduino cannot drive steppers. You need a stepper driver per stepper motor. Usually each
driver takes step and direction inputs, so two Arduino pins per stepper.

These links may help
Stepper Motor Basics
Simple Stepper Code

...R

aa thx guys

what you need to be precise an arduino mega, 4 Dfr Robotic dual stepper driver shields that comes with heatsinked a8825 drives and finally one mega expansion shield that connects to the mega and allows four shields to be plugged into it all available at the RobotShop web site

rogertee:
all available at the RobotShop web site

Have you a connection with that shop?

...R

i have a stepper with blue, green, red and black…which ones are a1,a2,b1 and b2 on the drv8825 driver board ? and can it operate without the 100uf capacitator ?

Also am seeing a lot of different ways to connect the wiring on the driver board…specially the sleep and reset …not aware what that does

iejun:
i have a stepper with blue, green, red and black....which ones are a1,a2,b1 and b2 on the drv8825 driver board ? and can it operate without the 100uf capacitator ?

It might, but why would you want to? The purpose of the capacitor is to act as a resevoir of energy to meet very short peaks in demand.

...R

just curious :slight_smile: ..understand the reason. Robin ..do you know which wires are needed to for the driver and how to connect the four color wires from the stepper ?

The Pololu DRV8825 web page has good connection information.

...R

yes am digging into the files…but it seems that it then doesn’t correspond with these wires

https://iprototype.nl/products/accessoires/cables-wires/precrimped-female-headers-4

So i found is that :

A1 = black
a2 = green
B1 = Red
b2 = blue

The only reliable way to identify which pair of wires goes to which coil is with a multimeter. I would not infer anything from wire colours unless they are clearly stated in the relevant datasheet for a specific motor.

...R

Indeed - in industry it is very commonplace for the same motor to be available in many variants,
with different resistances and different wire colours, including bespoke versions (no documentation)
that get resold as remaindered goods.

The first thing to do with any motor is get out the mutimeter and check the windings. Even if you
think you know them.