Multiple Stepper Motors and sensors

I am working on a project that involves 10 stepper motors and 7 sensors. Currently I have the arduino starter kit, 2 3-axis accelerometer, and 5 flex sensors. What else would I need to operate the stepper motors,the accelerometer, and flex sensors? Will the Arduino Uno be able to the job and if so what else do i need to make it work with Arduino Uno? If not what should I resort to?

Stepper motor most likely be using-10 of them
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4pcs-NEMA17-BIPOLAR-STEPPER-MOTOR-76-oz-in-for-3D-Printer-from-chicago-/181579012604?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a46f3d9fc

Thank you.

Stepper motor drivers typically have Step, Direction, and Enable inputs. If you have 10 motors, that can be as many a 30 pins. If you use a set of shift registers for Enable and Direction (which tend to change far less often than Step) you can get by with 13 pins but adding that to the flex sensors and accelerometer will exceed the pin count of the Arduino UNO. You might be able to do it all with the Arduino MEGA.

Hi.
What experience do you have with electronics, programming, hardware?

We need to know this so we can give you informative answers that you can understand.

What is the application that you will need all this input and output.

Thanks ..Tom...... :slight_smile:

You should get most of the info you need in stepper motor basics

Those motors require a current of 1.5 amps so it would probably be best to use Pololu DRV8825 drivers. One is needed for each motor.

An important question is whether the motors need to be controlled in a coordinated way - e.g. 57 steps for MotorA in the same time that MotorB takes 78 steps.

OR can they be controlled independently of each other - it would not matter if MotorA gets to its destination before MotorB completes its move.

You can probably see that it would be a big help if you tell us what the project is.

...R

Robin2:
You should get most of the info you need in stepper motor basics

Those motors require a current of 1.5 amps so it would probably be best to use Pololu DRV8825 drivers. One is needed for each motor.

An important question is whether the motors need to be controlled in a coordinated way - e.g. 57 steps for MotorA in the same time that MotorB takes 78 steps.

OR can they be controlled independently of each other - it would not matter if MotorA gets to its destination before MotorB completes its move.

You can probably see that it would be a big help if you tell us what the project is.

...R

I trying to build a robotic arm. So Im guessing they need to be controlled in a coordinated way.

TomGeorge:
Hi.
What experience do you have with electronics, programming, hardware?

We need to know this so we can give you informative answers that you can understand.

What is the application that you will need all this input and output.

Thanks ..Tom...... :slight_smile:

I have done the beginner Arduino codes as well as some bit more complicated ones. Knowledgeable in a couple programming languages including JAVA, C++, HTML, etc.. On the hardware wise I can build computers(not a hard thing to do). I'm a computer repair technician if that helps in determining my experience. This project is to build a robotic hand and arm.

Integ:
I trying to build a robotic arm. So Im guessing they need to be controlled in a coordinated way.

The reason I made the distinction is because the usual libraries such as AccelStepper are not designed for coordinated motion.

However it is not particularly difficult as long as you are using stepper drivers that just require step and direction inputs.

If this is your first robot project I strongly suggest you start small with just one or two motors.
And keep the learning about the sensors apart from the learning about the motors until you are confident with both separately

...R