multiplexing using multiple mux ic

I would like to have a grid of potentiometers say 8 x 8 though I may need to increase this, I would like to be able to cycle through them and read their values repeatedly. I realise I need to use a multiplexer config and wondered what the best way of doing this might be. I’ll use 10k resistors and I’m open to ideas on the arduino board I choose but I’m hoping something with 4 or so analogue pins would be fine.

The grid of pots will be used to control a midi synth.

What I am thinking at the moment is that I use maybe 4x spark fun 16 channel mux board or maybe 1 of these with 16 4 channel ICs (something like CD74HC4052E) effectively converting those 16 sparkfun channels into 64.

But then I thought is there a way of multiplying the mux ics, so for example 3 ICs would be 444 giving me the 64 channels. At this point I realised I haven’t much of a clue, and I searched this forum and the internet and struggled to source something I could understand or was directly relevant. So I thought I’d ask here.

What would you do as a solution?

I would consider making it virtual. A Raspberry Pi and a video Monitor - even 15 Inch would probably do - to display your 64 controls, click on one and use the mouse wheel to adjust it.

Paul__B:
I would consider making it virtual. A Raspberry Pi and a video Monitor - even 15 Inch would probably do - to display your 64 controls, click on one and use the mouse wheel to adjust it.

I would like to create something tictile and physical to represent parts of a synth. The synth itself is anaolgue but with a digital interface, it does in fact have software that renders more controls in a GUI - but I want to create a deeper analogue experience, therefore I'm keen to set out an array of potentiometers for different sections - oscillators, envelopes, lfo etc.

What I am thinking at the moment is that I use maybe 4x spark fun 16 channel mux board or maybe 1 of these with 16 4 channel ICs (something like CD74HC4052E) effectively converting those 16 sparkfun channels into 64.

I think you are on the right lines, you should buy the parts and experiment.

Maybe also consider 9 * 4051s; you put one of them with its common to one A2D input then the commons of the other 8 to the inputs of the first one.

Have you considered how quickly you can scan 64 inputs and whether it will be fast enough?

You will also have to work out how to address them all so the right multiplexers are enabled at the right time.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.