Multipple stepper motor control via internet.

Hello,

I am new to micro controllers, i don't want to be rude asking questions so simple to answer for you, or the ones that actually are simple but the time actually is not on my side and i can't take all the information i find to cooperate with me.

I am thinking of a simple project.

The aim is to control multiple stepper motors, small water pumps, vacuum pump only one and several web cams and a lot of temperature and humidity sensors.

The movements of stepper are very simple, just to move a box to a certain point along X axis. Water pump need to be turned just for few times a day and it could be manually firstly, until i get a grip on the programming. Web cam is for watching how everything works. And the sensors....well, for feedback on temps and humidity.

The aim of my post here is that i read read read about micro controllers and i can't decide, does arduino is capable of these functions, or is it too expensive for a project like this? (i already know it's based on Atmel)

I have started to learn about it's programming, and that idea came to me. On the other hand, I'm a beginner on micro controllers, and i doubt i could handle something that isn't even on a board and prototype the board myself.

And apologies if i wrote into a wrong topic, but it kinda touches Internet, motors and sensors, so.. :)

Thank you in advance.

I am thinking of a simple project.

Ok then:-

The aim is to control multiple stepper motors, small water pumps, vacuum pump only one and several web cams and a lot of temperature and humidity sensors.

So why did you describe this complex project rather than the simple one you were thinking of?

What do you mean by control a Web Cam? The arduino is not fast enough to do anything with a video output.

Do these motors need to move at the same time? If so that increases the complexity.

or is it too expensive for a project like this?

No, but it is a lot more complex than you think.

Thank you Grumpy_Mike for your reply,

These motors should not move at the same time, one at one time, for starters. Actually, the vision is to press the button on another PC, to move a certain stepper. I hope this was a bit clearer idea.

What do you mean by it would be more complex if they move at the same time? Is it related with power through the board capability?Or the programming part?

The water pump should work with humidity sensor, when the humidity drops below certain number.

we could leave aside the vacuum pump for now, until i get the grip on these things.

The thing i am thinking on constantly is to buy atmel micro controller that has higher capability to my project and to try to create a board. Of course i understand that it is complex, but i am eager to learn, make mistakes. I thought that i'd start on arduino, to get a grip on everything, but also trying to save finances because they are a bit fixed...

Maybe any advices what to read, maybe some hardware to buy for practice?

What do you mean by it would be more complex if they move at the same time? Is it related with power through the board capability?Or the programming part?

It is the programming part as all the stepping motor libraries assume just one motor and getting two to move at the same time has to be done by hand, in a coding sense.

I would say get a Uno and learn to use it. Look at the learning section on this site, and then on to the playground. Do a few projects first, then start your project one thing at a time. For example get the humidity sensor just printing out values. Write something just to move your motor. The combine the two to control your motor. That is never go for the big bang solution always work incremental testing as you go.