Music limited to "tone" command?

Hello

I am stilll learning about programming so I have many doubts on how to make most use of a programmable language.

Still I wanted to learn more how to make music compositions , by programming the Arduino.

Am I limited by using the "tone" command if I want to get a sound? Also can I create my own sound? I would like to be able play in most common musical scales only using the arduino to generate the sounds.

Any advise?

Only using an arduino and nothing else limits you to square waves. The scale can be anything you want but the tone will be a square wave. To get better tones you need some sort of A/D converter. However an arduino is a poor choice for making sounds with. It can be done but it is not very impressive.

impressive is subjective, you can play simple tiny clips, midi, tone or go nuts and write your own software dac and frequency generator to replicate chiptunes of years past

its not impressive compared to today, its pretty impressive considering that it took millions in R&D and custom silicon in years past just to get a fart sound when your spaceship exploded

Osgeld: impressive is subjective, you can play simple tiny clips, midi, tone or go nuts and write your own software dac and frequency generator to replicate chiptunes of years past

its not impressive compared to today, its pretty impressive considering that it took millions in R&D and custom silicon in years past just to get a fart sound when your spaceship exploded

Ah ah. Nice! Also true.

as grumpy_mike said, arduino can only give you square signals (PWM is in a digital output) but there's a lot of ways to make your arduino sing, from lo-fi to hi-fi if you want a specific solution tell us more details about your instrument target

anyway mate, check this: http://www.uchobby.com/index.php/2007/11/11/arduino-sound-part-1/