Musical floppies - floppies stop responding to Arduino

I've successfully built the musical floppy project (as shown here).

However I have this weird issue - after some time the Arduino executing the code just... stops controlling the floppy drives, without any reason and nothing changed on the circuit. Even the Arduino RX LED keeps blinking properly, it's just that the floppy drives stop responding all of the sudden.

When I first built the circuit I was using an Arduino Nano - everything seemed fine. Then suddenly the Nano stopped controlling the drives. I've rewired everything multiple times and then just thought I'd try it out with my Uno just in case. Aaaand for some reason it worked. I even added a second FDD and it worked like a charm. Then after a couple of days - the Uno stopped controlling the drives as well, with nothing changed on the circuit. And I can see the RX LED blinking accordingly again.

I am powering both of the floppy drives off a 2A USB charger (separate from the Arduino) and there's nothing wrong with it (my phone charges properly and quickly). And I have common ground.

I have no idea what to try next, I can easily put a new Nano or Uno there, but I'm not sure if the Arduinos are not damaged in any way for any reason.

Any ideas how I can troubleshoot this? :confused:

Can you just confirm that you're driving motors directly from an Arduino I/O pin?

AWOL:
Can you just confirm that you're driving motors directly from an Arduino I/O pin?

No, the Arduino I/O pins are only connected to the floppy control pins. The power is connected separately.
Also the Arduinos are working perfectly fine, I've uploaded a different sketch to the both of them and I can't find any issues - digital reads, writes, everything works like a charm.

Twinsmaker:
I've successfully built the musical floppy project (as shown here).

However I have this weird issue - after some time the Arduino executing the code just... stops controlling the floppy drives, without any reason and nothing changed on the circuit. Even the Arduino RX LED keeps blinking properly, it's just that the floppy drives stop responding all of the sudden.

When I first built the circuit I was using an Arduino Nano - everything seemed fine. Then suddenly the Nano stopped controlling the drives. I've rewired everything multiple times and then just thought I'd try it out with my Uno just in case. Aaaand for some reason it worked. I even added a second FDD and it worked like a charm. Then after a couple of days - the Uno stopped controlling the drives as well, with nothing changed on the circuit. And I can see the RX LED blinking accordingly again.

I am powering both of the floppy drives off a 2A USB charger (separate from the Arduino) and there's nothing wrong with it (my phone charges properly and quickly). And I have common ground.

I have no idea what to try next, I can easily put a new Nano or Uno there, but I'm not sure if the Arduinos are not damaged in any way for any reason.

Any ideas how I can troubleshoot this? :confused:

Are you supplying 12V? or only 5V? The specifications allow for 2A of 12V, and 2A of 5V.

Your drive could be different, but that is what is allowed by the specifications. If your drive needs the 12V but you only supply the 5V. It could cause the drives motor/stepper circuit to overheat.

You could have multiple problems:

• Browning out the 5V, because the drive is using it to drive the 12V motor Circuit
  • Coding errors in your program
  • Soft port direction glitching, I/O direction registers on the Arduino corrupted

Verify the drive does not need 12V.

Verify the 5V is stable, no high frequency noise, 4.9V to 5.1V.

insert Debug code that displays program operation.

Chuck.