My 1st project: TIE Crawler from the Star Wars Expanded Universe

HazardsMind:
An aluminum body will be very light about 1 or 2 lbs, if that, but the real weight will come from the motors and battery.

So…considering the aluminium body, the engine, the Arduino electronic components, and eventual small mechanisms, what is your opinion? How much could it weigh?

In my opinion, it would not weigh too much.

Depending on what parts you use, it could range between 4 - 9 lbs

HazardsMind: Depending on what parts you use, it could range between 4 - 9 lbs

So between 1.81 and 4.08 kg....That's not so much. Good to know. :) If the model will weigh between 4 and 9 lbs...Which kind of motor do you suggest?

At this time, I can't say. I don't know how much space you will have or how your treads will be connected to the motors. I need more info.

Yeah, I agree with you. The track system of the TIE Crawler is very different from a normal tank's track system. So I'll make it from scratch like, as you said, many people that home-build tanks.

Making tracks is probably the more difficult part of your project. Below are some tracks that might fit your project.

http://www.lynxmotion.com/c-94-tracks.aspx

zoomkat:

Yeah, I agree with you. The track system of the TIE Crawler is very different from a normal tank's track system. So I'll make it from scratch like, as you said, many people that home-build tanks.

Making tracks is probably the more difficult part of your project. Below are some tracks that might fit your project.

http://www.lynxmotion.com/c-94-tracks.aspx

Awesome! Thank you! :)

HazardsMind:
At this time, I can’t say. I don’t know how much space you will have or how your treads will be connected to the motors. I need more info.

Well, in the TIE Crawler the treads are connected to the cockpit, like in the photo.

TIE_Crawler.jpg

If I was making that, I would use worm gears and have the motors consealed inside the treads along with the batteries for weight. Possibly the motor controllers too.

HazardsMind:
If I was making that, I would use worm gears and have the motors consealed inside the treads along with the batteries for weight. Possibly the motor controllers too.

But for an RC Tank, isn’t enough one motor controller for both motors?

However, I don’t know if inside the treads there would be enough space. Give a look to the side view scheme.

Tanks use differential steering, which takes the difference of two motors. It probably can be done with a single motor but you will need a transmission to divide the power to the treads.

Added: If you can find pancake motors, then you can mount the motors to the back plate and use gears to drive the treads.

HazardsMind: Tanks use differential steering, which takes the difference of two motors. It probably can be done with a single motor but you will need a transmission to divide the power to the treads.

Added: If you can find pancake motors, then you can mount the motors to the back plate and use gears to drive the treads.

It's not so easy then... :O

I think there's some confusion here: you will likely need two motors, unless you wish to complicate matters mechanically. However, you can find a single motor controller that will drive both of them e.g. the arduino motor shield.

The below track setup looks close to being what is desired. Lynxmotion has the assembly manuals for these products available which would show some construction detail.

http://www.lynxmotion.com/c-120-no-electronics-kit.aspx

wildbill: I think there's some confusion here: you will likely need two motors, unless you wish to complicate matters mechanically. However, you can find a single motor controller that will drive both of them e.g. the arduino motor shield.

Well, I don't want to complicate anything. So I'll use two motors.

zoomkat: The below track setup looks close to being what is desired. Lynxmotion has the assembly manuals for these products available which would show some construction detail.

http://www.lynxmotion.com/c-120-no-electronics-kit.aspx

Awesome! Thank you. :)

Hi guys!

I’ve updated my project and here I’ve two schemes that could help you and make the project more clear.

I hope you find it useful. What’s your opinion about them? :slight_smile:

P.S: There was a second mechanism (the retractable and rotating turret), but that is just connected to the Arduino components with a very simple mechanism. As soon as possible I’ll do a scheme of the controller. :wink:

• 13:15 27.01.2014 Update -

I’ve uploaded a picture of the controller (my idea of the controller) and a picture with some informations about the retractable turret below the cockpit of the TIE Crawler.

What’s your opinion about it? :open_mouth:

4.png

HazardsMind: Depending on what parts you use, it could range between 4 - 9 lbs

In the last post I said that between 4 and 9 lbs isn't too much. And I think that my tank could work without problems. This guy (http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/244445) has made a LEGO RC Tank that has:

• an overall weight of 2.4 kg
  • an overall length of 58 cm
  • an overall width of 26 cm
  • an overall height of 18 cm
  • variable steering
  • ride height of 3 cm
  • turret rotating 360° fully traversing

In the case of the TIE Crawler's retractable turret, the rotation would just 180° (or less, I don't know), but the rest is similar. So my conclusions are that, if this guy has been able to create a big LEGO RC model (without using Arduino, but using LEGO Technic) fully working, this means that also my model will work perfectly. :)

If you want to see this LEGO RC Tank, the link is this: http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/244445

Well if you want to make it out of Legos, you can still use an Arduino as the brain. This link HERE is my video where I have done just that. It can be controlled via Bluetooth, so I can use a computer, tablet, or android phone to control it. Right now I am using a wireless PS2 controller to control it.

Making it out of Legos, is easy. I was going to suggest you use Lego treads, but since you mentioned you wanted it to look impressive, I scraped the idea.

HazardsMind: Well if you want to make it out of Legos, you can still use an Arduino as the brain. This link HERE is my video where I have done just that. It can be controlled via Bluetooth, so I can use a computer, tablet, or android phone to control it. Right now I am using a wireless PS2 controller to control it.

Making it out of Legos, is easy. I was going to suggest you use Lego treads, but since you mentioned you wanted it to look impressive, I scraped the idea.

Yeah. Well, the LEGO model is just an example. I would want to do my model, if it will be possible, with aluminium. :)

Wait a minute...Are you telling me that the LEGO Technik can be hacked with Arduino and that they can work together? :astonished:

No, but you can use the Lego motors, like I did in my video.