My 1st project: TIE Crawler from the Star Wars Expanded Universe

HazardsMind: No, but you can use the Lego motors, like I did in my video.

And how can Arduino and LEGO interact together? :O

I’m going to keep the pictures large, this way it is easier to see the connections. Those two chips are Quad Half-H drivers (aaaaaSN754410a). One for the drive motors the other for the claw.

HazardsMind: I'm going to keep the pictures large, this way it is easier to see the connections. Those two chips are Quad Half-H drivers (aaaaaSN754410a). One for the drive motors the other for the claw.

So you just modified the cables that are connected to the LEGO Motors so that they could be connected to the Arduino? Awesome! I guess it has been hard to do. :)

HazardsMind: Depending on what parts you use, it could range between 4 - 9 lbs

I have a doubt...If I build my RC Tank with aluminium, how can I attack together all the parts? I mean, the aluminium parts of the structure. It's one of the problems that I'm meeting. :O

You will need to make a skeletal structure and attach the aluminium pieces with screws, or you could weld everything and hope you don't make a mistake.

How much of it will be aluminium?

HazardsMind: You will need to make a skeletal structure and attach the aluminium pieces with screws, or you could weld everything and hope you don't make a mistake.

How much of it will be aluminium?

The skeletal structure is a good idea! I'll do it. And the whole tank would be made with aluminium.

What do you think of a plywood skeletal structure? Would it support the whole weight (including the aluminium pieces attached with scews)? :~

Yea, it could work. You could also make an aluminium skeletal structure too, but you will need to weld it together. How to Weld Aluminium

HazardsMind: Yea, it could work. You could also make an aluminium skeletal structure too, but you will need to weld it together. How to Weld Aluminium

Considering that I'm a beginner, what is the best idea in your opinion?

Wood

HazardsMind:
Wood

Good. Then tomorrow I’ll start searching plywood parts. And I’m lucky: I already have the instruments to work with it! :slight_smile: Thank you.

This in the picture is the controller. What is your opinion about it? :slight_smile:

It a basic controller. Is it going to be red or are you going to make it aluminium too?

In the US the home improvement stores have 5.2mm 24"x24" sheets of lauan plywood for ~$3. Hot glue can be an easy and quick method of bonding wood.

This in the picture is the controller. What is your opinion about it?

You might consider modifying an inexpensive game controller.

HazardsMind: It a basic controller. Is it going to be red or are you going to make it aluminium too?

Well, I think I'll make it in aluminium too, but I'll decide later.

zoomkat: In the US the home improvement stores have 5.2mm 24"x24" sheets of lauan plywood for ~$3. Hot glue can be an easy and quick method of bonding wood.

This in the picture is the controller. What is your opinion about it?

You might consider modifying an inexpensive game controller.

Good to know. Thank you for telling me about it. :) About the controller, there aren't controllers with 3 analogic pads. And I have already considered that idea. But I would want to start building one. :)

HazardsMind: It a basic controller. Is it going to be red or are you going to make it aluminium too?

Well, I found everything for the structure: Aluminium, tracks, plywood, etc. Now what I need is a list of all the best Arduino and not-Arduino components (including the motors and the IR receiver and the IR transmitter) for the tank and its controller.

Could you give me some advices, please? :)

That is difficult to say. Yes there are things better than others but they might not fit in the space you have to work with. You have the tracks already? Did they come with any sprockets or gears?

In order to figure out what motors will work for you, you need to first make the model structure. Then see how much room you have left after you installed the tracks + gears/sprockets, and if possible get some test motors.

For the Arduino, you may want to get either a Nano, Micro, or Mini. (Preferably the 5 Volt Mini). As far as a motor controller, try these. One Two

Or you can make your own motor controller with one of these, SN754410NE

I don't know anything about IR trans/receivers so I can't help you there, but you could maybe use a RF trans/receiver pair.

HazardsMind: That is difficult to say. Yes there are things better than others but they might not fit in the space you have to work with. You have the tracks already? Did they come with any sprockets or gears?

In order to figure out what motors will work for you, you need to first make the model structure. Then see how much room you have left after you installed the tracks + gears/sprockets, and if possible get some test motors.

For the Arduino, you may want to get either a Nano, Micro, or Mini. (Preferably the 5 Volt Mini). As far as a motor controller, try these. One Two

Or you can make your own motor controller with one of these, SN754410NE

I don't know anything about IR trans/receivers so I can't help you there, but you could maybe use a RF trans/receiver pair.

Well the model will be big. Something between 50 and 30 cm. :) What's the difference between IR and RF?

IR Vs. RF

HazardsMind: IR Vs. RF

So RF is better than IR?

Yea, well I think it is.