my board blinks before sketch

I just got a arduino starter kit and everything is going horribly. I think it isn’t going by Windows 10 because nothing is happening like in the book. My first question is regarding the blinking light which as you know is the first test…I failed. I put the pins in slot 13 and gnd and it starts blinking. Woohoo this was the goal!!! Only problem…I didn’t enter the code to make it happen. Did I get a used unit?
Signed,
Beyond frustrated.

The boards always come with Blink code running on them. That's normal.

The bootloader blinks the led (the blink pattern is three fast blinks on an uno, different boards have different patterns) to let you know the bootloader is running (for debugging when there's a problem uploading). With no sketch loaded, the bootloader will run continually.

Also, many clone boards come with blink preloaded.

So a fresh board will blink either way

You do know this forum has a wide audience? Please watch your language.

The onboard LED always blinks a few times during bootup, even when you have loaded a blank sketch.

+1 on the language. Not tolerated here. Leo..

larryd: Please watch your language.

Wawa: +1 on the language. Not tolerated here.

Redacted once.

Im not sure what language in my thread is foul for any age. I can assume you mean my bio so i apologize and i will change it as soon as I figure out how. Thank you for all of your responses. Is there a way to narrow my audience? Im new to this type of discussion.

Just read the one line under how to use this forum. Theres a screenshot of how to log-in which I had already done to get on this page and a suggestion to post in the thread instead of a private message. Nothing about foul language? We should tell the internet gods to add that and instructions with definitions of terms. I have the starter book but it doesnt say anything about this part of the website. And what are smileys or bulletin board codes? So many questions.

Im not sure what language in my thread is foul for any age.

Really?

Look, I don’t know **** about computers but I want to make my blinds operate via remote and this is what I have to do. So far I’m not liking it at all but I’m determined to power these ******* blinds.

At least make an effort and use a few *

lockwooddavid: Nothing about foul language?

Put foul language in any part of your profile or in any post again you will be banned. Consider yourself informed.

To add to my frustration, you guys are implying children can do this stuff. I have a degree in veterinary technology, graduated from UC Davis and got my masters from Long Beach State and I can't figure this out for the life of me. Are there places in the Los Angeles area that will show an individual how this is done? Like a tutor or something of the like? I think I changed my profile but when I wrote this my old post still has the old profile info. I'll figure it out. Is there a "how to" for this website?

To add to my frustration, you guys are implying children can do this stuff.

Yes, there are many younger members here 10 to 14 years old.

Putting your foul language profile back is disrespecting the forum. If you cannot get rid of it, PM a moderator.

"I have a degree . . . and got my masters"

Then you should know better.

If the UNO comes programmed to blink a light, why is the first test to make a light blink? How can one tell they did it correctly if it blinks before entering the code?

For the person saying I should remove my disrespectful profile, it looks as though it is changed on my end. I don't know how to PM a moderator. I tried report to moderator, but it said it was for snitches?

My profile pic was a picture of the problem I am having but it is gone now and the how to use this forum page said there would be little icons to add images but they aren't there. I'd show you but I can't add images.

Do I have to quote someone to reply to them?

"If the UNO comes programmed to blink a light, why is the first test to make a light blink? How can one tell they did it correctly if it blinks before entering the code? "

Let's say the LED is blinking at 1 hertz rate on your board. Load the blink sketch onto your computer, change the time to 10 hertz then upload the sketch to the board.

PM AWOL

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?action=pm;sa=send;u=9546

Hi,
If you are after some basic instruction on C++ and Arduino in the LA area

google Los Angeles Arduino

https://www.meetup.com/topics/arduino/us/ca/los_angeles/

This may help, email the groups and see if any give instruction, I know some people find it easier to have LIVE teachers rather than ROBOT online tutorials.

Tom… :slight_smile:

TomGeorge:
Hi,
If you are after some basic instruction on C++ and Arduino in the LA area

google Los Angeles Arduino

https://www.meetup.com/topics/arduino/us/ca/los_angeles/

This may help, email the groups and see if any give instruction, I know some people find it easier to have LIVE teachers rather than ROBOT online tutorials.

Tom… :slight_smile:

What you ^^^ said. I learn much better when I see someone else do something first. Thank you for the suggestion.