My code is useless to the arduino itself

Hello,

It seems my code is absolutely useless when it comes to controlling the arduino. I wrote this:
void setup()
{
pinMode(13, OUTPUT);
}

void loop()
{
digitalWrite(13, HIGH);
delay(5000);
digitalWrite(13,LOW);
delay(5000);
}

Nothing happens whatsoever. I’ve even tried other people’s code too. I can’t control the blinking.

I have Windows 10 and 1.8.7 IDE. I’m not sure what to do.

You'll have to verify and upload; just typing it in in the IDE does not make it go to the Arduino. Sounds obvious but with the amount of info that you give it's impossible to say.

Which Arduino? Original or clone? If clone, if it uses the CH340 chip as a TTL-to-USB converter, you'll have to install the drivers.
2)
Do you get errors? Which ones? When you get errors, there is a 'copy error messages' button to copy the error messages to the clip board and net you can past the m in your post.
3)
Other stuff that I can't think of at this moment.

Note
Read How to use this forum - please read., specifically point 7 how to post code. Most here prefer that you also post errors in that way.

Of course I upload it, sorry for not mentioning. Anyways, this is where my ardiuno is from: Amazon.com: ELEGOO UNO Project Super Starter Kit with Tutorial and UNO R3 Compatible with Arduino IDE : Electronics

No errors really pop up.

What are the symptoms? Led still flashing with one second on, one second off? Led permanently on? Led permanently off?

Did you hook up something to pin 13?

It is in 13. What usually happens is the led will light up for about 10 seconds then go back to blinking.

I don't even need the code for the arduino to repeat the blinking process.

So you have a led connected to pin 13. Did you use a resistor in series?

I currently have no resistor in my possession.

OK, remove the LED; you might very well be in the process of blowing up your 328P microcontroller.

Only use the built-in led and pray that the 328P still works.

The kit didn't come with any resistors, so I'm guessing there is nothing to fear.

It's still acting as it was when I got it.

I’m sure it will have survived .
You need to post, In detail what actions you take and what the screen shows when you do so, so someone can identify what is wrong .
Also what the setup is - leads etc, any power supply etc .
Has it ever worked or is this the first ever upload?

elegoo are not selling genuine boards; it’s likely that you will need to have installed the CH340 driver ; it can’t hurt to do so.

I’d always recommend begineers buy a UNO direct from Arduino and it might still be worth getting one. These issue can be frustrating for people starting out .

Jkaufman03:
The kit didn't come with any resistors

The picture on the page that you gave has resistors; right hand side of the remote. Send it back if it's not as advertised.

Jkaufman03:
so I'm guessing there is nothing to fear.

Guessing wrong.

If you have a multimeter you can see what the voltage on pin13 is and whether its changing... Measure
it with respect to GND.

Jkaufman03:
It is in 13. What usually happens is the led will light up for about 10 seconds then go back to blinking.

Is the LED blinking 5 seconds on then 5 seconds off, approximately, would you say?

The LED will go off for about 10 seconds, then start blinking every second again.

https://streamable.com/9z0wu

This is my situation

Things to try:
Try running the blink program on a different pin.
Elegoo Arduinos ship with a blink program on the default LED pin(13).
Place you LED into something Like pin 8 and ground, and change your code to reference pin 8 instead of pin 13.
If nothing happens, you probably have a problem with your board.
If your LED does start blinking, everything should be fine.

You can also use the Tools --> Get Board Info option on the menu, and it should let you know a little bit more about your board. If this doesn't work, there is a problem with your USB connection, or your drivers.

Jkaufman03:
https://streamable.com/9z0wu

This is my situation

Did you already add a resistor? If not, all bets are off and you're wasting your and our time.

Why does your video not show an Uno? The kit that you linked in reply #2 is an Uno kit.

Re-iterating an earlier reply

sterretje:
OK, remove the LED; you might very well be in the process of blowing up your 328P microcontroller.

Only use the built-in led and pray that the 328P still works.

I tried to run it in pin 8 but to no avail. Do I absolutely need a resistor for the LED to light up? It worked fine without a resistor in pin 13.