(My First Project) Project to operate 5 valves at specific time per day

The objective of my project is to create an automatic system which will turn on a 1/4hp pump and simultaneously operate 5 valves. Each valves will be required to open for a specific time then close. This process has to be able to start every day at the same time of day (eg. 8:00am). This project will be used to control water supply to plants on a daily basis. I have in my possession a Arduino UNO board, a breadboard, a 25A driver relay and a blue tooth interface.

Can anyone advise if this can be done and what additional resources do I need?

IF you want to reliably do this at a certain time each day you'll probably also need an RTC.

Can you post data sheets for (or links to) the valves, relay and motor? And a schematic of your system? The more information you provide the better the advice you will receive.

There's an example in the Automaton documentation that demonstrates how to control two valves in a specific order. It would be trivial to expand that to 5 valves.

As far as the real time thing is concerned (Delta_G is right), you might set up your Arduino to run the valve sequence as soon as it starts and make it turn on with a standard timer switch. You won't have to worry about making user interface for setting the time.

Automaton documentation

Hi, What/Where is this??

terryking228: Hi, What/Where is this??

It's a library that he wrote and has been pushing relentlessly for the last week or two.

Rampi: The objective of my project is to create an automatic system which will turn on a 1/4hp pump and simultaneously operate 5 valves. Each valves will be required to open for a specific time then close. This process has to be able to start every day at the same time of day (eg. 8:00am). This project will be used to control water supply to plants on a daily basis. I have in my possession a Arduino UNO board, a breadboard, a 25A driver relay and a blue tooth interface.

Can anyone advise if this can be done and what additional resources do I need?

This project can be vary between ultra simple, even using an external timer to flip the Arduino on every morning at 8, to very advanced, with the option of manipulating valve open times and/or sequence, via a primitive user interace, with buttons and leds, or even remotely.

Having a microcontroller perform a completely fixed sequence of on/off's, is very simple, but the electronics part may not be, depending on the relays, etc. Also, when people want something very simple, there's usually parts they have forgotten to mention :-)

terryking228: Hi, What/Where is this??

https://github.com/tinkerspy/Automaton/wiki

@Delta_G

It's a library that he wrote and has been pushing relentlessly for the last week or two.

I try to combine it with helping people out, if you think I'm crossing the line let me know. Having someone write a working script for you sounds like a pretty good deal.

I also use the forum as a source for real world problems that I then try to solve in - hopefully simple - Automaton scripts. So far that seems to be working well and I like to share the result back to the forum.

There's only so many use cases one can think of by oneself.

I just mean that it isn't the solution to everything and sometimes learning basic programming concepts is more useful in the long run than trying to learn an object oriented library to blink an led.

Delta_G: I just mean that it isn't the solution to everything and sometimes learning basic programming concepts is more useful in the long run than trying to learn an object oriented library to blink an led.

I see your point. I'll be a little more selective before I start annoying people. ;-)