My lcd only show squares

Today I decided to hook up my lcd display that was with the arduino starter kit. It worked fine a few weeks ago but when I put it on today, I saw eight four edges from the middle on display to the right, top and bottom protection. What I did was that I tried different codes and plugged up and down jumpers several times. I do not think there is any hardware failure, because it has been in the box all the time. is quite annoying so please help =(

Those things have a memory, and can sometimes display the last junk that went to them whilst the wires were being pulled out by a shaky hand. If you’d got it to work before then dig out your previous code, upload that, and see what it does this month.
Do you have a “hello world” sketch program for it?

Those things have a memory, and can sometimes display the last junk that went to them whilst the wires were being pulled out by a shaky hand.

All of the LCD memory is volatile. Although the display will remain if the data and/or control lines are disconnected it will not survive having the power removed. Not even for a few seconds much less a few weeks.

Don

this is how its look like :frowning:
and yes i have the Hello World code

Your display has serious problems most likely due to poor connections between the LCD 'glass' and the pc board.

These connections are made by 'zebra strips' and there have been numerous threads with information about them.

The search capabilities of this forum software is abysmal, even if you find the camouflaged search box. Try the following Google search: "LCD zebra site:arduino.cc".

Don

I fixed the problem, I do not know how but when I turned the LCD so that all the links set opposite way, I started to see strange numbers and letters. So I put the display the right way, and then it's worked :)