N-channel MOSFET protection!?

I want to use a logic level N-Channel MOSFET as a switch for a externally powered RGB LED strip. But I don't know if I must protect the MOSFET or not! If I must protect it can someone tell me how to protect it please. :) Thank you :)

GoldenClick: I want to use a logic level N-Channel MOSFET as a switch for a externally powered RGB LED strip. But I don't know if I must protect the MOSFET or not! If I must protect it can someone tell me how to protect it please. :) Thank you :)

I think it depends on what you want to protect it against. Eg... like too much current through it. Or applying the wrong polarity voltages across pairs of its terminals etc.

I think it depends on what you want to protect it against. Eg... like too much current through it. Or applying the wrong polarity voltages across pairs of its terminals etc.

A led strip is not an inductive load so putting a flyback diode across the load is not going to accomplish anything because a led strip does not generate back EMF.

If the mosfet is used correctly there is no need to protect it from reverse polarity.

Use a fuse that blows when a current passes through it that is too high.