?n(y)o?ob?/ questions

Hey there pros and semi-pros!

So I want to enter into a digital media design school, and the president MDMD Vancouver, told me that I should learn Java and Arduino.

So my basic questions are as follows:

a) What programming languages do I need to lean in order to use Arduino at a beginners level?

b) does Arduino have it's own language?

c) Can I run Arduino off and intel core i5 laptop?

d) What are some good educational resources? (Free is possible)

Thanks a bunch everyone :smiley:

Hey there pros and semi-pros!

So I want to enter into a digital media design school, and the president MDMD Vancouver, told me that I should learn Java and Arduino.

So my basic questions are as follows:

a) What programming languages do I need to lean in order to use Arduino at a beginners level?

Thanks a bunch everyone smiley-grin

physicalplant:

C++

No, it uses C++. Included with the Arduino IDE (Integrated Development Environment), there are various pre-written functions to make it easy to do common things. Additionally, there is a series of libraries included to make using the various features easier. Finally, there are uncounted libraries and other examples in the wild.

Absolutely.

Depends what your education is going in. You'll want to know some programming obviously, but also electronics.

Ok thanks a bunch for that info.

Any Idea why the president of the school said that I should Know Java?
Maybe he meant that it's good to know as a completely separate language.
So there is no cross over between Java and Arduino?

Honestly, I thought Arduino used Java as well but as Jack is much more experienced than me, we can trust him. It seems that Java and C++ are extremely similar but are not compatible with other. There is an article on Wikipedia if you wish to more details.

As far as educational resources, start with this sites "Getting Started" section. They have the basics as well as the most common commands you'll be using.

It is my understanding Processing uses Java, and tends to use Java formatting, and has become some bizarre (at least to me) defacto standard in some cases. Arduino, which is based off Processing, runs in Java, but most embedded processors, especially the level of Atmel processors Arduino uses, use C, which is very similar to C++, but not object oriented.

The syntax between C++ and Java is very very similar, but not the same. However, most of the differences come from into how you import objects/libraries, and other necessary structural things, but when writing code, they tend to look very similar.

A) if they said Java then that is one. Arduino programming is C++.
B) C++. It has its own libraries to implement the functions that interact with the hardware platform.
C) The IDE will run but 'Arduino' refers to the small hardware boards and these are separate. You could run a simulator, but I don't really see the point of that.
D) Google "Arduino tutorial". Also the Learning section (menu above) has good stuff in it. There are plenty of examples in the IDE.

physicalplant:
Any Idea why the president of the school said that I should Know Java?

None.

Maybe he meant that it's good to know as a completely separate language.

Could be.

So there is no cross over between Java and Arduino?

Not from a programming standpoint. The IDE is written in Java, but as users we basically don't care or need to know. When programming an Arduino, we're writing C++.

Dude, cross-posting is highly discouraged.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.msg1118325.html#post_etiquette

Threads merged.

Sorry I'm new to forums.

I meant to post to Programming Questions. Didn't realize I was cross merging by posting in 2 separate areas. My bad.
Is it fixed?

physicalplant:
Is it fixed?

Yes.

most embedded processors, especially the level of Atmel processors Arduino uses, use C,

It's probably fairer to say

most IDE for embedded processors use a C compiler

The Arduino Uno uses the Atmel Atmega328p microcontroller which has a 131 instruction set - non of which are C or C++ or java. Atmel have kindly created libraries that the AVR-GCC compiler used by the Arduino IDE can convert to use the 131 instructions.

So we code in C or C++ because we choose to use the IDE which in turn uses a C/C++ compiler. Other IDE may give you opportunity to program in different languages for example Atmel's Studio 6 IDE let's you use assembler.