naming sketches.

hello, this is my first post, loving the arduino so far. i have a basic question about the naming conventions for sketches (i have looked around on the net for this but can't find what i'm looking for) when naming sketches my spaces are replaced with underscores, i have seen that you can only use ASCII characters, but a space is in the ASCII character set isn't it?

Yes. Sketch name can't start with a number either.

Also review this page: http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/StyleGuide

Have fun with your Arduino.

Ray

"Sketches" are stored as files and in fact, in their own directory with that same file name (for some reason or other), so their names must make sense as file names on not only your particular operating, system, but any. The avoidance of leading numerals follows the same reason.

Now while most OS can use file names with blanks in them, it is very messy and inconvenient because written commands are normally parsed using blanks (and things which start with a numeral are expected to actually be numbers). Just imagine trying to write "C" code (or any other) using variable names with blanks in them!

That style guide explains the frustrating and perverse practice of "tutorials" depicting switches tied to supply lines supposedly so as not to "confuse" newbies. Sadly, just the opposite, it only tends to spread more confusion in the end, but at least I now know from where the confusion stems. :0

Just imagine trying to write "C" code (or any other) using variable names with blanks in them!

FORTRAN supports blanks in variable names. Makes for some strange looking code, though.

PaulS: FORTRAN supports blanks in variable names. Makes for some strange looking code, though.

Yes, well.

I'm not sure where I have put all my punch cards though.