NANO 3.0: avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

Hi all,

after probably destroying 3(!) Arduino nanos, I decided to ask around here, even though, this issue has probably been asked multiple times before, but no solution has worked for me yet:

So, while uploading any project from any of my 4 Windows 10 PCs, the uploading process takes approximately 2 minutes and then stops withe this error message:

"avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xf5 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xf5 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xf5 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xf5 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xf5 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xf5 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xf5 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xf5 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xf5 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xf5"

Please note: the value after "resp=" changes with each try

I have tried every soulution I found online and reinstalled the drivers for the CH340 chip successfully. I have tried different usb cables as well. After connecting the nano, only the PWR led is on and remains green while uploading. Nothing else flashes or lights up. In other forums the pins A0 and/or A1 are mentioned; i have soldered a female port onto both of them, but nothing is connected to any of them, while uploading my sketch. The correct board, processor (I had to use the AT328P old bootloader) and COM port are selected, but it still doesn't work.

PS: My Arduino Mega 2560 works like a charm on the same COM port.

Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks a lot!

Therein lies the problem.

PS: My Arduino Mega 2560 works like a charm on the same COM port.

Quite unlikely they are on the same COM PORT. Check in DEVICE MANAGER under COM & LPT ports which is which. Even connect both at the same time but note which one is on which COM port.

I'm sorry in case i wasn't exact in the description of the issue: I meant that the Mega was working fine while connected to the exact same USB-port (not the same COM port), which the nano was unable to work on, just moments ago. Of course, I made sure to always select to correct COM port at any given time.

Surprisingly, in the IDE the Mega is recognized as: Port: "COM5 (Arduino/Genuino Mega or MEga 2560)" while the nano is simply recognised as: COM6, for example.

After a bit more digging the error "not in sync: resp=0xf5" comes up quite a bit where the bootloader was somehow corrupted.

See HERE

If your Nanos are original 2018 models, you need board manager version 1.6'21 or higher. IDE 1.8.5 comes with 1.6.20 so needs an upgrade of the board manager. Check which board manager version is installed.

If your Nanos are older originals or clones and your board manager version is 1.6.21 or newer, try the 'old boot loader' option under tools->processor