Nano 3.0 not registering on computer

Hi there,

I'm just testing my Nano to see if it's alright, but when connecting it to my computer by USB, it does not register on the serial ports and the TX and RX LEDs are perpetually on. The nano is not connected to anything else, and I have the latest version of the Arduino programming environment installed. It's not building up heat either, so I doubt I've shorted it anywhere.

Does anyone know what might be wrong?

Does anyone know what might be wrong?

Did you install the proper USB driver software when you installed the IDE? It doesn't happen automatically. Your first step is to solve why the PC doesn't acknowlege that a USB device has been plugged in.

Lefty

My other Nano registers just fine, the only difference between them is that the one that isn't registering has had its pins replaced with 90-degree male pins instead of the vertical stacker male pins. There's definitely no two pins on the problematic modified nano that are connected, so this isn't an issue with the TX/RX pins.

Lyinginbedmon: the TX and RX LEDs are perpetually on.

That is usually a sign of a dead usb-to-serial chip

smeezekitty:

Lyinginbedmon: the TX and RX LEDs are perpetually on.

That is usually a sign of a dead usb-to-serial chip

No. This is usually a good indication that a bootloader was not installed on the ATmega328P of the NANO. Empty chips do nothing.

No. This is usually a good indication that a bootloader was not installed on the ATmega328P of the NANO. Empty chips do nothing.

No, incorrect. The tx and rec leds are driven by the USB serial converter chip not the 328p. Even with a blank or missing 328p chip, a module with a functioning USB serial chip would be recognized by the PC and be able to pass a loop back test if pins 0 and 1 are jumpered together. Constant on tx and rec leds points to a bad USB converter chip.

Lefty